• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 to 4R70W Adapter Verification

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tom,
Do you have a picture of this?
Is this for the earlier type AODs also (pre-87)?

The part numbers are listed on the Advance Adaptors website.
They are factory pieces when they started making the AOD-E. They had a bunch of AOD output shafts already drilled with the governor holes. Put a plug in, sleeve to hole the plug and the governor snap ring to hold the sleeve over the govenor holes and the late (post '88) output shafts could be used in the new eletronic transmissions. we got to thank that Ford engineer that figured how to save Ford a few bucks and gave us all the ability ty use the AOD output shafts in the eletronic transmissions.

Thank you nameless cost saving engineer, you did something right for once!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Tom,
Do you have a picture of this?
Is this for the earlier type AODs also (pre-87)?

Non-electronic transmissions use a govenor to control shift points. So any of the non-electronic AODs use the hole. Only the electronic ones require plugging the hole.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If no one does it before me, I'll measure mine with the AA AOD adapter. IIRC its supposed to be about 2 1/2 inches longer than stock, with no clocking options.
Tom

Tom,

Did you ever get a chance to measure your overall length?

Dave...

bighorn

Cool! I was hoping someone would get around to trying this before my swap. I'm curious though......would hacking off 3/4" of the output shaft impair future swapping of a an atlas or stak? Would it weaken the link or is it fully engaged?

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool! I was hoping someone would get around to trying this before my swap. I'm curious though......would hacking off 3/4" of the output shaft impair future swapping of a an atlas or stak? Would it weaken the link or is it fully engaged?

There is plenty of spline left to fully engage the spud shaft and then some. The last 1/2 inch of the output shaft is a taper so you are really only cutting off about 1/4 inch of spline leaving about 2 1/4 inches of spline. The total depth of the hole in the spud shaft is about 2 inches. I'll have some more accurate measurements when I get it jigged up for the machine work. The 3/4 inch measurement is conservative. It's probably closer to 1/2 on this transmissions output shaft. I'll get a good dimension of how much of the shaft can protrude out of the tail housing.

I was told that you need a 1 inch spacer ($100) to put a Stak or Atlas on the 4R70W because of the output shaft length. No one mentioned the option of trimming the shaft. Once again, I could not get consistant or nonconflicting information. Nor can I verify this requirement.

Attachments

• IMGP0006 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0006 (Large).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP0007 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0007 (Large).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP0008 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0008 (Large).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I went outside and crawled under it and did a quick measurement on mine. It measured ~38" long. The AOD adaptor is 6" so you can do the exact math with the 4R70W and Dana20.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I went outside and crawled under it and did a quick measurement on mine. It measured ~38" long. The AOD adaptor is 6" so you can do the exact math with the 4R70W and Dana20.

That's consistent with the page I posted previously. the 4x4 4R adapter is supposed to be 6 3/8. According to the AA page, the Zf adapter is 1.4 inches long, so this setup is 1.775 inches longer than using the straight AA adapter for the AOD.
Tom

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would check those #'s before you cut the tail shaft. Even a test bolt up would be a good idea.

There is plenty of spline left to fully engage the spud shaft and then some. The last 1/2 inch of the output shaft is a taper so you are really only cutting off about 1/4 inch of spline leaving about 2 1/4 inches of spline. The total depth of the hole in the spud shaft is about 2 inches. I'll have some more accurate measurements when I get it jigged up for the machine work. The 3/4 inch measurement is conservative. It's probably closer to 1/2 on this transmissions output shaft. I'll get a good dimension of how much of the shaft can protrude out of the tail housing.

I was told that you need a 1 inch spacer ($100) to put a Stak or Atlas on the 4R70W because of the output shaft length. No one mentioned the option of trimming the shaft. Once again, I could not get consistant or nonconflicting information. Nor can I verify this requirement.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would check those #'s before you cut the tail shaft. Even a test bolt up would be a good idea.

I'll verify everything before I cut anything. Did bolt it up already and it's about 1/2 inch from closing the gap. Need to make sure that there isn't any thrust loading on the output shaft. Chuck at BC said that some ZF output shafts need to be trimmed to use that adaptor.

bighorn

Any updates on this install? Did cutting the shaft shorten it enough to bolt the case up?

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any updates on this install? Did cutting the shaft shorten it enough to bolt the case up?

I should have it together in a couple of days. I'll post the results. I decided to try powdercoating my D20. I know its a lot of overkill as no one will see it unless I roll it but thought it would be a good part to experiment with. Pretty happy with the way it came out.

Attachments

• IMGP0002 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0002 (Large).JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 96

Reyen

Loc.
Campbell, CA
I know it's been a while, but I was hoping to find out how it turned out? Did you end up cutting the shaft? Thanks.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to cut about 1/2" off the tail shaft which is all taper anyway. I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow. It really beats having to tear the transmission apart and you save a couple hundred bucks on the adaptor. Downside is its slightly longer and you have to fab up your own shifter mount which I have not done yet.

flousberg

Dave,
What are you doing for the 4r70w shifter? Throwing in my tranny this weekend.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dave,
What are you doing for the 4r70w shifter? Throwing in my tranny this weekend.

I'll fab up a bracket that attaches to the 2 shifter bosses on the tail housing. I hope to use the old T-shifter to keep it looking stock from the top side. Too many home improvement projects going on that are taking all of my time and $$$ right now. Hope to get back on it soon.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I meant the 4r70w.

I going to modify a stock auto stearing column and used the cable shifter. I was origionally going to use a cable floor shifter assemble from a mustang but I've decided to stay sith the stock look.