• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 Disc Conversion with 78/79 Bronco Knuckles

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
I recently bought a D44 with drums that I'm wanting to convert to a disc setup with hydroboost (probably expensive new vendor version). I also bought 78/79 Bronco knuckles (based on a recommendation I received- more clearance to the 15 inch wheel than 76/77 knuckles) to use for the conversion. Which vendor offers a conversion that will work with these knuckles? I'd like to use new rotors, calipers, etc. I don't have any other parts for the conversion at this time. I'd like to buy the most complete kit available and use these knuckles. I do know that I will have to put sleeves in the knuckles for the steering. I plan on having a 66 lubr with 3.5 inch suspension, 1 or 2 inch body lift, extended radius arms and running about 33 inch tall mud tires with stock steelies with a pretty decent 302 and c4, probably with 4.10 gearing and tru tracs. I'm after very good articulation along with great street manners. It's going to be a mainly street driven vehicle but I want it to be trail capable. Any recommendations on which vendor kit to buy along with the additional little parts I will need would be very helpful. I know a little about the cheby conversion, but would rather keep it all FORD!;D

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You can get most of it from napa. The caliper brackets and spindles may be a tougher find locally. Maybe try the bonyards. All the parts knuckles out from a 78-79 are a bolt on for the kit. Could be 76-79 but not sure if spindles are the same

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You can buy a 76-77 rebuild kit, it should have everything you need. Sounds like you still need a set of caliper brackets though

X 2, you say you have the knuckles but you will need the caliper brackets too.

I did this conversion going on 3 years ago. The all ford brakes tech article is great but the prices listed have gone way up since that article was written.

No knocking the vendors kits but shipping is going to kill you. You need rotors and wheel hubs.....They come as separate pieces but on the 78/79 you have to mate them together using the wheel studs. Your current Bronco hubs will not work. Advance has free shipping on orders over $75 and 15% off total order with an additional $20 gift card towards next purchase. Hard to beat and you will be buying some heavy stuff.

I got everything I needed at my local Advance Auto and they gave me a 10% military discount. I did buy my ball joints at NAPA (NAPA Prem blue tops) but later found out Raybestos brand is the same thing for half the price.

I reused the locking hubs off my 74. Also for brake lines, I used 76 F100 disc lines. You may or may not have to change the brake line brackets. I had to change mine out. Mine had a "star" pattern vs. the "D" shape needed for the later brake lines.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are 2 common ways of doing disk brakes (and a few more uncommon)
The GM swap uses the Ford drum brake knuckles and rotors, everything in between (spindle, backing plate, caliper) is GM parts.
The beauty of this is you are not messing with ball joints and all the steering stays exactly the same.

You have Ford disk brake knuckles now. It would have been nice to just grab all the rest of the parts while you were at it. Because you need all the parts from the knuckle out to use those knuckles. '76 to 79 half ton 4WD truck stuff. Sorry it changed in '80 so the only usable part of those is the rotors. Also expect to find minor changes to the alignment of the tie rods. Check alignment carefully and make sure you have enough engagement in the adjuster once the toe is set. You may need some non-standard steering parts to get everything all happy.

OP
OP
Green76

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are available separately, but as said, if yours are in reasonable shape, they will work just fine.

The main parts do work with the later full-size trucks, but the reason this kit is not listed that way is because the brake caliper hoses are NOT compatible for those applications.

I'll see if I can add that detail for clarification, and get someone to create a kit # for the full-size trucks too, because we do actually have (or can get) the correct hoses for the '78/'79 trucks as well.
Might even correct the speeling errars while we're at it!%)

Paul

OP
OP
Green76

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
Thanks Paul,
I will most like be ordering this kit from Wildhorses, so I'm sure I'll get all the needed parts!
Jeff