• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dakota digital gear shift indicator on 4r70w

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
So has anyone used the dakota digital gear selector kit on a 4r70w trans. I'm using the explorer cable to shift and I want something other than the column indicator. I called dakota and they said it should work but not certain. LOKAR said theirs should work also but I would like to know if anyone has experance with either, thanks

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I has a USShift controller for my 4r70w. They didn't know how to give an output signal from their system.

betzgb

Contributor
I have a 96 Explorer harness/PCM and I would like to pull the gear indicator into my Dakota Digital RTX cluster. Is the BIM module from Dakota the only way and does that work?

71 CA Bronco

This is what I did. You buy it with the gauge kit but I like the BIM 01-2 much better. I'm sure it would be more accurate. At times mine gets mixed up between gears P and R. It could just be an adjustment issue. I had to make a bracket for the sender. The ones in the kit where kind of cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 44

betzgb

Contributor
I finally got this wired up over the weekend and I can confirm a 96 Explorer PCM connected through a BIM module to the DD RTX cluster does show the gear. Works perfectly. What I cannot figure out is how to display the trans temp. Does anyone know if the 1996 PCM has access to the trans temp? I see Viperwolf say it works on a 98 but not sure about 96.

hossbronco

Contributor
Lokar also has some nice shift indicators for the 4R70W, and I believe they can communicate with the Dakota Digital gauges.

https://lokar.com/catalog/#page=54

US Shift says that CAN bus data interface is coming soon for the Quick4, but I can confirm that I’ve spoken with them in the past few months, and it doesn’t sound like they’re anywhere near completing this. I believe once they’ve added this feature it will be able to communicate with the Dakota Digital gauges.

ratbilt

Contributor
This is my set up works great

Attachments

• IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 26

betzgb

Contributor
I ended up using the Explorer shift linkage connected to the stock column. I also fiddled with the DD RTX more and the 96 PCM is feeding trans temp and gear to the digital display now. Very cool!