• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 and Needle Bearings

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Re-assembling my Dana 20 and the original shop manual is not too clear.

Question: I have the 15 needle bearings installed on the rear shaft and retained with vaseline. My dilema is what holds the needle bearings on the shaft once installed? I have pre-fitted the adapter and do not see any way to retain the needle bearings on the shaft.

Thanks for any help !

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The input spud shaft end fits inside the end of the output shaft and the bearings roll between them. I think there are 13 of them.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
15 needle bearings? I thought it was 13.

Anyway, I don't think that I truly understand your question. If you retain the bearings with grease (I just used assembly lube and it did the trick), then put the shaft in place, the needle bearings have no place to go. They don't need to be "retained" to the shaft.

OP
OP
A

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Gear install Error?

The input spud shaft end fits inside the end of the output shaft and the bearings roll between them. I think there are 13 of them.

I think that I might have the front shaft main gear mixed up with the rear input main gear....that would mean that I have the output shafts reversed as well.....is that possible (are the shafts the same diameter)?

I counted the cogs on the front gear and there were 13...however, the one I have on the rear has 15....

...crap

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think it's possible to mix the shafts and get it to fit together. Here is the rear shaft. http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/D20REAROUTPUTSHAFT.JPG
And here is the front.http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/D20FRONTOUTPUT.JPG
Not sure which gears you're counting teeth on.

The splines on the shafts that the sliding gears fit to are different counts/sizes. There is no way to get them mixed. That may be what you're counting. Make sure you don't put the input gear on the spud shaft backwards or you won't have rear high range. The dogs on the input gear need to face the sliding gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Slider Gears

Noticed that the slider gear I have in the front has a groove on the lip near the shaft, and the one I have on the rear is flat on the surface. Is it possible to have these reversed (trying to figure it out without tearing it apart, if I don't have to).

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Looks like you have it now...here is a couple shots of them going in. Good luck.

Attachments

• Tranfer Case 003.jpg
    Tranfer Case 003.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Tranfer Case 006.jpg
    Tranfer Case 006.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 39
  • pic 003.jpg
    pic 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 42
  • pic 004.jpg
    pic 004.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 35
  • pic 005.jpg
    pic 005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
A

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Great Photos

Looks like you have it now...here is a couple shots of them going in. Good luck.

Thanks - perfect - great photos

Don't know what I would do without the internet....lots of help from others with the same sickness...I would never figure this stuff out on my own.