• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 clocking

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I searched and didn’t find anything. I know the adapter for a 4r70/Dana 20 from AA only installs 1 way, has anyone ever changed the clocking to raise the front output so it is almost horizontal? Is it even possible and have driveshaft clear the trans? Actually a modification I’ve never done with this combination. I’m always looking to use parts in ways that they were never intended 🤣

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Steve I don’t think I’ve ever used a part as actually intended. 🤦‍♂️

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Not 4r70 but I think it's the same adaptor as I used on my M5ODR2 conversion. I clocked the D20 up on position to clear everything. Below is a thread on it. It shows the modification I made to the twin Sticks mounting bracket. I made the bracket so it would work at the 12 and 1 o'clock D20 clocking positions. Also shows the grinding I had to do on the M5.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/m5odr2-twin-stick-help-clarification-grind-webbing.313822/

Tim
That makes sense. The only adapter I had looked at was this one, which has no clocking options. I can see your option working just fine starting with a 4x4 trans.

1713797307157.png

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Aren't there lubrication issues to deal with if you clock th d-20?
only if it is high enough that you can't get enough oil to reach the idler gear. If the idler gear is in contact with oil it is fine. All gear driven cases have the same issue, it is easy to get around but has to be taken into consideration. This application wouldn't be completely flat, just up a long ways from where it is in a bronco.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
That makes sense. The only adapter I had looked at was this one, which has no clocking options. I can see your option working just fine starting with a 4x4 trans.

View attachment 923882
Is that the 2 wheel transmission adaptor? Call AA and make SURE you have the right adaptor for your trans and D20. J vs. T shift.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can use the ZF adaptor which is the kit I used for my M5

Tim

Line58

only if it is high enough that you can't get enough oil to reach the idler gear. If the idler gear is in contact with oil it is fine. All gear driven cases have the same issue, it is easy to get around but has to be taken into consideration. This application wouldn't be completely flat, just up a long ways from where it is in a bronco.
How do people usually get around this issue?

I have a Bronco D20 installed in my Jeep TJ behind an AX15 (adapted with a NWF blackbox) with nearly flat clocking, and I've been a bit worried by how little gear lube you can get in using the existing fill and drain holes.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE

I have a Bronco D20 installed in my Jeep TJ behind an AX15 (adapted with a NWF blackbox) with nearly flat clocking, and I've been a bit worried by how little gear lube you can get in using the existing fill and drain holes.
Park it on a good slope when you fill it. Should get some more in it. How much might depend on how brave you are. ;)

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

On 205’s I put a 90 degree pipe fitting in the fill hole to raise the fill level. Just put the fill plug into the 90. If you get it too full it will puke fluid out the vent. When it gets to the correct level it will stop lol.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On 205’s I put a 90 degree pipe fitting in the fill hole to raise the fill level. Just put the fill plug into the 90. If you get it too full it will puke fluid out the vent. When it gets to the correct level it will stop lol.
Sounds like the front diff fill on the '66 Dana 30 axles.

I once lost a seal between the transmission and transfer case on a BroncoII (yea, I know, completely different parts) and the transmission was draining into the transfer case. I kept the transmission filled. Eventually both were at the same level, which was a massively overfilled transfer case. I'll fix it one day turned into several years later and close to 100k down the road I finallly sold it off for pretty much scrap and the transfer case was still perfect.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Sounds like the front diff fill on the '66 Dana 30 axles.

I once lost a seal between the transmission and transfer case on a BroncoII (yea, I know, completely different parts) and the transmission was draining into the transfer case. I kept the transmission filled. Eventually both were at the same level, which was a massively overfilled transfer case. I'll fix it one day turned into several years later and close to 100k down the road I finallly sold it off for pretty much scrap and the transfer case was still perfect.
Had a similar situation with a Dana 300 in my buggy. The tell that there was a problem was the caps on the shift rails kept popping off, they were filling with fluid hydraulicly pushing off when it was shifted, turned out there was a bolt missing in the seal retainer, it was not in the transmission so evidently it wasn’t there when it was assembled, ran that way for over a decade, although it just got high quality drives on Sundays 🤣🤣

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

Hey who let the Jeep guy in :cool:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Oh I caught that, was referring to some other guy with a jeep and up until very recently did not own a ford motor even though he owns a well known bronco😜😂
Reminds me of sprint car races at our state fair. Was looking through the program once and there was one car that wasn’t Chevy powered. Nope, sorry Ford folks it wasn’t a Ford. Offenhowser! o_O