• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 jumping out of rear high

77BroncoTucson

Finishing up a '77 Bronco build with a 3rd Gen Coyote and 10R80. Kept the Dana 20, with an Advance Adapter for the 10R80 and the Advance Adapter tail housing with a 1350 flange. Changed from the J-shifter to twin stick from Wild Horses. It keeps popping out of rear high!

Am I gonna have to tear this Dana 20 apart and put in stiffer ball detent springs? Everything has to come out of the case to get to them! ARRRRGH! Any ideas? Thanks!

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
On a Dana 20 you don't have to tear the case apart to get to the detent springs. Mine did the same thing to me, I just shimmed the spring a bit to make it stiffer. Did it from the cab, short project.

OP
OP

77BroncoTucson

The sift levers and linkages are free, though I thought maybe the boot was maybe trying to push both levers back to neutral. Good to know I won't have to tear the case apart! I did put new bearings and seals in it and did not want to have to pry my new seals out. The 10R80 is way longer than the old C4...I hope I won't even have to drop it out. Thanks!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
FYI, setting the rear output pre-load correctly is critical, especially if you have a steep angle on the rear driveline (harmonics). If you replaced the bearings and the preload is insufficient the rear output will not spin true, causing the rear output sliding gear to walk into the neutral position.