• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 speedo gear seized on output shaft

Redbark

Contributor
I'm rebuilding my Dana 20 and need some advice.

The speedometer drive gear seems to be seized on the rear output shaft. It's a steel gear. I believe these speedo drive gears are supposed to just slide on and off the output shaft. I don't want to leave it the way it is because I can't adjust the shaft preload properly if the gear won't move. Any suggestions to get the gear moving? I can't put much force to it as that may damage the threads. Will heating it with a propane torch cause any problems?

Viperwolf, do you have any suggestions? You seem to be the Dana 20 man.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
R

Redbark

Contributor
I don't believe there is a clip on the rear output shaft as the bearing preload is set with shims between the speedo gear and the outward bearing. Everything needs to be able to move on the shaft, including the speedo gear. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

This D20 is a 68 T shift. I have another, later output shaft that has a plastic speedo gear which moves freely on the shaft. I can easly slide that speedo gear along the shaft. I don't want to use that output shaft as there are some sketchy wear marks on the toothed end of the shaft.

OP
OP
R

Redbark

Contributor
Here's the other output shaft I have which I think is from a J shift 74. The speedo gear slides easily on it. I'm concerned abut the marks shown on the photo as they don't appear on the earlier shaft. Are they a concern? If not I could use this shaft, but I'd still like to fix the 68 shaft to have a spare.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpg
    Attachment-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 51

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Are you planning to replace the bearing? If so you can press it off using the rear sliding gear as a base. Some bearings have a large inner shoulder and can be pressed off without damage. Some will press the cage and rollers which will damage them.

If you're going to reuse the bearing there is no need to remove the speedo gear. The shims go between the gear and yoke.

OP
OP
R

Redbark

Contributor
Thanks Viperwolf.

The bearing looks good so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

Any comment on the marks on the shaft that has the plastic speedo gear, post number 4? The shaft with the steel gear doesn't have these marks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Viperwolf.

The bearing looks good so I guess I'll just leave it alone.

Any comment on the marks on the shaft that has the plastic speedo gear, post number 4? The shaft with the steel gear doesn't have these marks.

Some were made like that.

Attachments

• Bronco 007.jpg
    Bronco 007.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 18