• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 20 wont shift into high range...help mr wizzard

ratman1

i have a delta jeep with a dana 20 t case, last night i shifted it into low range to climb a hill, then when i shifter back into high range i have nothing. i got under the jeep and had a buddy shift it into hi and low range the shifter is moving the shift rods in and out but still have no hi range it as though the t case is in neutral, low range still works fine... any idea what my problem might be? thx for any insight, rm

70_Steve

Old Guy
i have a delta jeep with a dana 20 t case, last night i shifted it into low range to climb a hill, then when i shifter back into high range i have nothing. i got under the jeep and had a buddy shift it into hi and low range the shifter is moving the shift rods in and out but still have no hi range it as though the t case is in neutral, low range still works fine... any idea what my problem might be? thx for any insight, rm
Hi and welcome to Classic Broncos.com.

There's nothing that I know of that could be broke, and leave you with only low range... To have low range and neutral the shift rods have to be moving the shift forks, which in turn have to be moving the sliding gears.

So, couple questions...

No high range. Is that both 2HI and 4HI?

Watching the shift rods, did you observe the shift rods move from low to neutral, then from neutral to high. Or did you just see the shift rods move back and forth?

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Welcome to Classic Broncos. Now get off of here and go buy a Bronco.

Just kidding:)
My question would be what type of shifter do you have? The shift rail "pills" require the shift rails to move in a certain sequence.

OP
OP
R

ratman1

Welcome to Classic Broncos. Now get off of here and go buy a Bronco.

Just kidding:)
My question would be what type of shifter do you have? The shift rail "pills" require the shift rails to move in a certain sequence.

thx for the welcome guys....

there is a single shifter that allows in the furthest aft position 4L, 4h, n, 2h, 2L. there is a bracket off the t case that supports the shifter and it attaches to a horizontal bar that moves the two shift rails....i will lock the hubs in the am and see if 4h works.

i was under the truck and had my buddy shifted it through the 5 positions and everything moves as it should as far as the shift rails are concerned
last night there was a tree down in the road, so i just switched into low range 2L to climb a hill and go around the tree, then when i shifted back into 2h...nothing, fortunately i was only a few miles from home so i drove home in 2l. thx for any insight, rm