• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 discs

doghows72

Bronco Guru
So I found a Dana 30 from a jeep Comanche and I'm wondering if I can swap out the disc brakes onto my bronco Dana 30??
Anyone know? Thanks Steve.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No idea. But there are lots of Jeep parts that are definitely NOT compatible, so be cautious and if you don't get a direct answer here, definitely take lots of measurements.
Are the parts nearby where you can go take a look? You know them so if it doesn't work out you could return them?

Paul

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I think I found the answer, it NO. The axle under those are 5x4.5 lug pattern so you'd be back to square one trying to find hub bearings etc etc.
I'd love to find a 44 with disc but mine being mostly street mild trail the 30 is fine. I'll probably end up just buying a kit. Seems easier for me no matter which angle I try!! lol

jcasey12

You should consider the Chevy conversion. I did that on my D-30 Bronco a few years back and it was pretty easy. And not too expensive if you can find used parts.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
After trying to source used parts and finding all the other pieces, it's cheaper and less time consuming to just buy a kit. Plus I have all new parts as well. I've been researching this for months now, and I actually did the chebby conversion on my 72 but that was fifteen years ago when the used parts were easy to find. Now I can't even find the used parts for less than $300, then another 300-400 for all the bearings seals hoses nuts bolts and time.
It's kit time for me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jeep parts, no. Uni-bearing, ball joint knuckles. Completely incompatible. You might be able to use the ring and pinion from that axle and that's about it.

Chevy conversion that has been around for ~25 years works just fine. And is just about the only way to do disk brakes on a D30. The only affordable way anyway.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Well after a few weeks of deliberation and calculations I ordered my disc brake kit today. I ended up going with horsepower sales off eBay.
After comparing the three local to me bronco shops and the horsepower kit I made them all the same. As far as bearings vs no bearings, braided lines compared to rubber, prop valve vs no prop valve. And after making the kits the same parts wise the horsepower kit came in at $733 with prop valve shipped to my door. Also spoke with Dan at horsepower and he is including fittings for the prop valve just in case, and the mythical washers and bolt for the axle end in case I need them.
He was very a great help asking all about my rig so I'm very confident it will go together without issues.
Thanks to all you guys for the tips and advise, this site and all you guys have saved me and countless others lots of cash by avoiding mistakes.
Two thumbs ups to all of you!!

sneditch

Thanks forposting this @doghows72 - I am in a similar place with the Dana30 and appreciate your legwork and the opportunity to follow the thread. cheers.