• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 gear swap questions

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have decided to run 4:56 gears on my bronco (ADO with 33" BFG's) and have been looking at ring/pinion sets. I originally was going to put true trans front and rear but knowing my bronco will only see very light off road like a two track forrest road etc. and the expense of a locker differential I am thinking going with a true trac in the rear and leaving the front open but this leads to my question, I see the diffs are specified for certain gear ratios, is this the same for the open carrier that is in there now? If so, is there a preferred carrier to go with? I am trying to keep somewhat of a budget and be realistic with its intended use when it is done. Any ideas/tips/suggestions?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
All Dana 44 carriers are split 3.73 and down and 3.93 and up.

If you want to keep the stock front open carrier, you need "thick" gears which will work on your stock 3.73 and down carrier. Else you will need to buy a 3.93 and up carrier for the 4.56 gears you want to run.

When I went to 4.11's I bought a 3.93 and up Dana trac-lock.

Tim

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Thanks, I have found replacement open carrier for around $100 from dana. Being budget conscience, well less overkill, I dont see a need or reason to spend 500 on a locker like I originally wanted to do. I am still going with a locker or tru trac in the rear and maybe down the road I could change the front carrier if my bronco starts to see more off road but I have run an open in my f250 for years with no troubles so I am thinking my bronco will be ok as well.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I got my Dana 44 Trac-Lock for $250 from one of the venders. I run a Ford 4 pin trac-lock in the rear.

Tim