• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 HD 8 lug: Wheel bearing grease, I know, I know...

79INA69

Just though I would see if there is a certain brand or type of wheel bearing grease that anyone prefers now these days. I'm about to load up the front bearings and hub, any suggestions, favorites??

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
There are three base types of grease, all of them will destroy the other two if mixed.
So either go with what is already there or completely clean down to bare metal when you put new grease in.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Funny how threads come and get you thinking......I'm in the middle of wheel bearings myself (on my Samurai) and picked up grease as I wasn't sure how much was left in my grease gun.

So as things would have it, I have 4 different brands of wheel bearing grease. All of them state, "Hi-Temp Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Grease" All are Lithium Complex Type EP Formula and are listed as NLGI #2 GC-LB

I've got Masterpro, Travelers, Valvoline and Luca. Some in tubes and some in tubs

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Redline Synthetic CV2 would be my preferred, go-to wheel bearing grease for high performance applications.

That said, any decent over-the-counter high-temp wheel bearing grease at your local auto parts store is probably more than up to the task of an EB. I don't know about you, but I'm more likely to fail front wheel bearings due to foreign contaminants (water, mud, etc) than lubrication failure due to load and/or speed.

Tobin

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I like red line too.

But I've also used that Marine grease that I use in my boat trailer. Apparently it refuses to mix with water and that seems like a good thing with our Broncos. But whenever I've done that it's been completely clean hubs new bearings and races so there was no mixing of regular grease and the high temp Marine Grease

OP
OP

79INA69

I'm in the middle of 8 lug front swap. The used 79 F250 D44 hubs are completely clean, new bearings and races ready to pack. I have usually just ran Valvoline cheap stuff, and repack after big water crossing or muddy trips. Does the Marine type allow you to not repack after water crossings? I'm just not a fan of packing bearings, looking for water and intrusion defense.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lucas red and tacky. The guy who has been maintaining out trailers played with a bunch of different greases and said this one holds up better. Can be found at any of the local parts stores for the same basic price as other tubes of grease.

Best? Probably not. Good enough? I'm sure it is better than anything that existed when these trucks were new.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you pack the spindle fully before installing it (assuming it's off that is) it will also help keep water intrusion to a minimum.
Sealing from the backside and keeping the locking hub knob seal in good shape and tight will go along way.

Adding a marine water-proof bearing grease would be a nice icing on the cake.
My take on it is that if water gets in, it just won't churn up the grease into a mass-o-mess. We're not likely to ever get enough water in to literally wash away grease, but it can still get into places it doesn't belong. Keeping that from happening then in theory all you have to do is pop the knob to check that it's dry, or to let any water drain out and evaporate that did manage to get past your defenses.

I'm only guessing at the grease properties, but it would make sense.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Redline Synthetic CV2 would be my preferred, go-to wheel bearing grease for high performance applications.
This! I've been using CV-2 in 2 & 4 WD wheel bearings for about 27 years. Including in front bearings that get driven pretty hard on the pavement at times. I consider it a lifetime grease in a pavement pounder, as in load quality bearings (Timken, Fafnir, Koyo, etc.) and the hub with it and I'll sell the car before I need to re-pack them.
<-- Started with that when some Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing grease failed spectacularly.

The only wheel bearings that don't get it are trailer wheel bearings. Mostly because they've already got a generic grease in them and cleaning all of that out isn't high on my priority.

I like red line too.

But I've also used that Marine grease that I use in my boat trailer. Apparently it refuses to mix with water and that seems like a good thing with our Broncos. But whenever I've done that it's been completely clean hubs new bearings and races so there was no mixing of regular grease and the high temp Marine Grease

Tried that, had a spectacular bearing failure mentioned above and quit using it after that. Turns out its not all that great of a grease.