• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Open Carrier

Michael Mc

Loc.
Cullman
Im currently buying up parts to do a 4.56 gear change in my 76. I have the gears and a locker for the 9 inch rear and I have the gears for the Dana 44. I mostly use this truck for street and hunting on the weekends (nothing hardcore). So the locker in the rear will be all I need. I am looking at the 3.92 and up Yukon bare open carriers for the Dana 44. Will my stock spider gears and cross shaft fit in the 3.92 and up carrier? Also was not sure about the wear and tear that the stock spider gears go through and even if you need to reuse them. New spider gears are $110, master bearing install kit $100, and Yukon open carrier $83. Basically looking at a $200 expense for the carrier and spider gear set as opposed to the $400 to $1,200 lockers. Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you quoted the current prices. I was initially going to suggest you just buy new side and spider gears, since they're only a few bucks each.
Shows how long it's been since I checked!

I think they'll all work, but I really can't remember. Pretty sure that only the case is different, but just not sure about the cross-shaft and such.
Maybe a quick search of the classifieds will yield a good used one someone has taken out when they swapped to a locker up front?
Or did you try that already?

Not that I'm trying to take a sale away from Yukon. They're a good company with good products. I just thought if looking at costs, a quick trip to the used parts department might be in order.

Good luck. Someone should be able to answer the parts compatibility issue for sure pretty quickly, I would think.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Prices have changed. I gave $50 for a new Spicer open carrier, but that was getting to be close to 10 years ago. I got mine so the LockRight would have a carrier that was in diminsional spec and not have wear issues that cause so many issues with lunchbox lockers (putting a locker into a worn carrier and then crying that it doesn't work right)

So a new open diff is going to run $200. You state open is fine for you and you are probably right. But I would have a hard time not spending a little extra and finding a limited slip to stick in there. Maybe not the latest wizz bang stuff, just a cheap one. Still all new stuff. I am going to keep my mouth shut about prices as I have not priced those in some time either. I don't even know what is currently on the market either.

OP
OP
M

Michael Mc

Loc.
Cullman
I have also considered saving another month and putting an Aussie type locker in the open carrier instead of the spider gears. Have you guys had good use out of the lunch box style lockers? I felt for my purposes it my be a good match for light usage.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
A new track loc carrier ready to drop in is only $279 plus shipping. I just put one in my 74 this month. I was looking to rebuild the factory unit with thick gears (4.09's) new clutches, springs, spiders and pins and it was only $7 cheaper to do so. I fugured for $7 it wasn't worth the trouble of rebuilding.

Tim