• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Pinion Preload Initial Check

bradform

Question for the experts. I'm rebuilding the front end on my 74 EB and decided to replace the seals on the front axle while I had it out. As far as I know, the axle had never been opened up before. Fluid looked normal for the age and I assumed it had been changed a few times over its life (no water or corrosion in the housing). I measured the backlash at 0.008" and the preload at around 4 inch pounds with the carrier out. It was really hard to accurately get an average of the rotational preload. From what I've read, the backlash is within tolerance (6-10), but the preload is below tolerance (6-9). This is my first endeavor into maintenance on Dana 44, so I want to make sure I do it correctly. The inch-pound torque wrench I have is new. It's a 1/4-inch Drive Beam Torque Wrench (ARES 70213). Is marking the nut\yoke and getting it back to that original position acceptable (assuming the preload is set back at 4-inch pounds)? Or should I push up in the 7-8 inch-pound range after replacing the pinion seal?

OP
OP
B

bradform

Pics of the pinion nut and reading on torque wrench below.

38c266882d4420fcd518fdfedb01a88d.jpg

fc44f762421f0bce6da726a7b8d861cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The Dana 44 pinion bearing preload is set with shims. So the pinion yoke nut gets torqued to 225lbs. Marking the nut and getting back on like before is a method some people use when replacing the pinion seal on the rear, which has a crush sleeve. I bet if you get more torque on it you’ll get closer to spec. 10in.lbs is good for used bearings, if you check with the seal in place, that adds approximately 3in.lbs. You should always use a new pinion nut after everything checks out. Good luck.

Mark

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's also measured as you're rotating the torque wrench, not the amount that it takes to start turning it. Or least that's how I was shown and have seen done.

OP
OP
B

bradform

Thanks for the input. A few more quick questions.

When I replace the pinion seal, should I go ahead and remove the pinion to inspect it and clean the housing before reinstalling and replacing the seal?

Does the carrier always need to be out to property measure preload?

It was mentioned that the pinion seal adds three-inch pounds to the reading. Is that true? It seems like that would be factored into the 6-9 inch-pound recommended range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've always seen those numbers with just the bearings, shims and pinion in place and it always mentions that the seal adds to the number read on the wrench.