• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 60 or 609???

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I can very easily have another 9 inch housing and third member for next to free,
also it seems a lot easier to get a chevy/dodge 60 to get the tubes from, so whats the pay out? Which one is a better axle.
also am I getting this, its a 9 inch center 60 tubes and outers "I don't mind switching rims" but what shafts are they???

the goods

I drive with a light foot most of the time and use copious amounts of skinny pedal when needed so strength is important.

I have a nice 302 that does well for what it is but will eventually be replaced by a 4bt. I use an np435 and like it I currently run 37" mtrs and don't plan on going any smaller, maybe get up to 38''s.

thanks

Durtymax

I am not positive, but I think it is a 9" center with 60 outers. I think everything from the center to the inner c's is all 9" and everything out from there is from a 60. I just went with a 60 to save some money. You basically have to buy a 60 to get all the good stuff and then put it on a 9". They are pretty trick though. Portalteck and Ballistic Fab do some cool stuff with them.

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
The chevy knuckles are a lot stronger than ford. After I broke 2 sets of ford knuckles I went with the Dedenbears. The chevy knuckles have a lot more meat on the upper half of them where a high steer arm goes. The casting of the Dedenbear looks a lot like the GM. Also the GM has a 6 bolt pattern on the spindle rather than the 5 bolt Ford. You can also use 3/4 ton brakes, and not have to grind much for a 15" rim.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ok that's good what year chevy 60 would I be looking for and would one from a cucv work?

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
With a 60 in there, you might start using the room you need for a 4bt if thats the way you want to go. a 4bt sits low in the frame to get the hood to close and the bottom of the engine is close even with a lp44 under there and 3" of lift.
Look at the whole picture that you want to end up with and not just the parts cause sometimes they dont all fit together!!!

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
With a 60 in there, you might start using the room you need for a 4bt if thats the way you want to go. a 4bt sits low in the frame to get the hood to close and the bottom of the engine is close even with a lp44 under there and 3" of lift.
Look at the whole picture that you want to end up with and not just the parts cause sometimes they dont all fit together!!!

good point that's why my other idea was if I was to go 60, pull the tubes from a gm 60 and swap the long side and short side shafts and tubes to have a cheap low pinion 60 that would clear the 4bt "I hope" if not I already pushed the front axle about an inch forward I wouldn't mind pushing it more.

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
The cucv 60 should work out fine. Re-tubing a axle is a lot of work!! I have done it once and don't want to do it again. boring out all the plug welds then pressing the tubes out. The center section isn't bad compared to the inner C's.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
The cucv 60 should work out fine. Re-tubing a axle is a lot of work!! I have done it once and don't want to do it again. boring out all the plug welds then pressing the tubes out. The center section isn't bad compared to the inner C's.

so tell me dude what am I doing here putting 60 tubes on a 9 center or putting 60 outers on a 9 housing? and you would rather swap the tubes on a cucv 60 than build the 609?

thanks

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
A 9" chunk is stronger than a 60. Guys break more 60 gears than 9'' gears. why not get a housing like RuffStuffs new one for a 9" and put 60 outers on it. Kinda A 609 hybred and tuff as nails.No clearence probs cause the housing would be smaller than a 60 or the 9, and you could go with either a reg lp 9" or a high 9. WOW I just think I thought up my next upgrade!!! It's only money!

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
It's only money!

I'm trying to do this with all junkyard crap, sure I could save money and buy one built and tons of headache would surely be avoided but where is the fun in that.

also I am in hawaii so this is more of an opportunistic thing regardless if I actually do it I know it's gonna drive me insane in the long run.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Oh, OK then junk away!!!I thought ......nevermind.

no I agree that spider traxx housing is only 500 pick up a gm dana 60 for 400 and bam! I just may do that instead of re tubing my old 9 to a driver side drop we will see.

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
this still doesn't answer my question though what from each axle am I useing

It will depend on the spacing of the carrier to the center line of the kingpin. If "you" are building it, you can find some shafts the right length and with the right joint size. This way it will be a easy replacment down the road. Have you decided on a spline count, 30 or 35? You might end up using inners for Ford and GM. Time to get the tape out...

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I would like to go full width and 35 spl inner 30 outer to make things easy and then I won't need custom shafts. I have a nodular 9 third I got with my wife's 78, I don't think she will miss it so that will be my bomb proof front.

BroncoBoy72

Loc.
Marana Arizona
Not to be a tird in the punch bowl.. But why not just run a D60 front and call it good? I contimplated building a 609 and after talking with my buddy Jeff who owns Ballistic Fabrication I decided it would cost more than just swaping in a HP60. But its your rig and it would be fun, yet a tedious task. Check out his 609's and housings on his site might give you some ideas. As for the 60 being in the way, my 60 clears my 4bt just fine.

Jonathan

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Just because man just because...

I know it will cost more and be much much much harder but what I will have will be a little better and I bet I will learn something

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
One consideration that shouldn't be forgotten is pinion angle. Stock D44 driveshaft travel is maxed out with a 5 inch lift. A standard 9 inch has an even lower pinion, so it would probably be maxed out even sooner. I'm not sure how a D60 compares with a D44, but unless you are doing a HP front axle I think you will still have something to complain about when you are done.
Tom