• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 60 question?

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
i found a ford dana 60 so i believe. the guy said it was from a dually and is missing from the knuckles out. and i have chevy knuckles to put on it. i was wondering though if on a dually version thee tube is a different length or it its just the knuckles that are different, anyways i figured someone on this awesome site would know
thanks guys

OP
OP
B

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
found this on pirate, figured id post up as future reference

The SRW and DRW front axles are identical EXCEPT for the wheel hub and rotor - same spindle, bearings, and lockout. The DRW wheel hub has a wheel mounting flange mounted on it about 4-5" from where the SRW wheel would mount. This makes the DRW axle 4-5" wider on each side. This was done to more closely match the width of the DRW rear axle, and to allow the DRW trucks to carry a single spare tire mounted on the largely dished "budd" style DRW wheel. Also, the rotor is bolted to the DRW hub with 8 9/16-NC bolts inboard of the wheel mounting flange, in the same position as the SRW hub, allowing the use of the same brakes on either (as opposed to the SRW hub which uses the wheel studs to pin the rotor and hub together). Because of this, the holes in the DRW rotor are smaller than in the SRW rotor, since the DRW rotor holes need only to clear the 9/16 bolts, as opposed to the SRW rotor holes which are larger to fit the knurled shoulder of the SRW wheel studs - other than that, the rotors are identical and DRW rotors can be used with SRW hubs if the 8 holes are drilled larger. The last difference is that between the DRW mounting surface and where the SRW mounting surface would be, the DRW hub 'bulges' - enough so that it will not fit through the center hole in the stock SRW wheel. Aftermarket wheels may not be an issue if they have larger center holes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good info. Thanks for posting it up bumster.
I think barron sent you away too soon though. I think somebody would have come up with a quick and dirty answer for you right here, if given enough time. Sometimes we're just slow on a Monday night.
But if anyone else asks in the near future, at least the three of us can answer them right away!

Paul

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

The housings are the same - think of it this way, if you were to make over 100K of a housing anded needed DRW and SRW, would you make two housings or change it from the knuckles out?

What year is the housing? BJ or KP? Live spindle or unit bearing?

Take a peek at my build thread - I took a lot of pictures of my build and can answer a lot of questions.

OP
OP
B

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
thank you kyleq ill definitely have to check it out. he will sell the axle and gears for cheap so i figured i'd ask and look around before i bought it
o and its a kp out of 85 so i beleive live spindle?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
thank you kyleq ill definitely have to check it out. he will sell the axle and gears for cheap so i figured i'd ask and look around before i bought it
o and its a kp out of 85 so i beleive live spindle?

Yes - it is a live spindle, damn near the same exact axle I have under my Bronco.