• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana44, re-gearing advice needed

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The soft locker does the exact same job but uses different spring rates to snap the cogs in. In my Bronco you never hear the clacking and banging like the old design has. Once in a great while there will be a snap but rarely. My Toyota has the standard locker and when it engages it is like someone hitting the rearend with a sledge hammer. It will scare the shoot out of you until you understand what is going on and it is so loud that the people next to you can hear it in their sealed cars. Granted it is much worse in a toyota pick-up due to no weight in the back. But why suffer if you dont have too. Cost difference is miniumal in my bronco the soft locker was only like 20.00 more.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Re:Dana44/9", re-gearing advice needed

Thanks guys, for all the info.
I spoke with the owner of Performance gear & axle about the Detroit's soft lockers and his supplier said that all the lockers are soft now as to the earlier models and I would be very satisfied with the out come and performance.
I pulled the rear axle (Ford 9") today and delivered it to http://www.4x4gearmasters.com to have the Detroit Locker and 4:56.1 gears installed in her ;), he and I are still looking into which axles will be used to replaced the old ones, he tells me he might be able to get a set of 35 spline axles with matching Locker.

The guy that owns the business (Ed) is a very knowledgable and is an easy to talk with kind of person, and he builds mostly offroad axles, Trannies and T-cases and highly recommends beefer axles, joints and gears, he is giving a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

This is what I've been wanting to have done from the begining ;D, I can hardly wait but I have found that to have Axles Professionly built is not cheep :eek: my pockets will be empty for a while.
Jeff

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Well, Guys
Last minute change out mind, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with the "Detroit Electrac" in my new Dana44.

Dang ! I have went more then double over my budget for this, anyone want to buy a kidney?
Jeff

tonto

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jeff68 link=board=5;threadid=15308;start=15#msg117244 date=1048272850]
Well, Guys
Last minute change out mind, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with the "Detroit Electrac" in my new Dana44.

Dang ! I have went more then double over my budget for this, anyone want to buy a kidney?
Jeff
[/quote]
Maybe not a kidney but how's your liver? ;D

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=tonto link=board=5;threadid=15308;start=15#msg117319 date=1048291759]
[quote author=jeff68 link=board=5;threadid=15308;start=15#msg117244 date=1048272850]

[/quote]
Maybe not a kidney but how's your liver? ;D
[/quote]
I think the liver is in pretty good shape as of now, I started drinking after I purchased this Bronco though! ;D

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Well, Guys

Jeff
[/quote]Ooohhh, he's got it bad now.