• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Layout Poll; Which one looks the best?

Which dash layout looks the best?

• Dash #1

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Dash #2

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Dash #3

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Dash #4

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Dash #5

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Dash #6

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Hey All-

I am mocking up the dash and finding a home for 6 switches and 6 or 8 gauges. The PO was a little gauge happy, and I am hesitant to follow suit because it's not a trophy truck or a NASCAR and looks crappy. Currently three of the 8 gauges are under the dash mounted just left of the steering column, and i don't know if i should re-mount them as is or add them all to the dash. I also am not planning on a stereo because it is in my console currently.

Gauges: Engine Temp, Oil Temp, Oil pressure, Comp PSI, Vacuum, Volt(alt), fuel PSI, Fuel

Switches: elec fan, fuel pump, fuel selector switch, compressor, isolator, arb locker, aux lights

Maybe someone will see something I don't and point out why it won't work

Here is the current dash
CurrentDash.jpg

Here are my current mock ups- please give me your opinions!

Dash2.jpg

Dash1.jpg

DashLayout016.jpg

DashLayout014.jpg

Dash4.jpg

Dash3.jpg

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
im assuming you are reusing the main speedo cluster... if so i would go with #2, but i would maybe move 2 gauges (appropriate selection of which 2) over to the left of the speedo cluster. might help keep everything driver oriented, as opposed to drifting over to the pass side...

HollywoodC

You should have changed shoes in every picture, we could have voted on your best pair while we were at it. I have a new dash and I am going through the same thing with mine, I will be curious to see what the crowd favorite is.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
thanks for the feedback guys- i do have a 3 gauge cluster i can mount underneath, but the whole point was to consolidate and clean it all up.

one of my main concerns is where the switches are because i need to be able to at least reasonably reach the ARB switch with my harness on.

SCbronco, i was thinking about that but the roll cage kills anything on that side :(

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
#2 - mostly because of the cool shoes :cool:

haha, thanks bud!

sadly, i think i should get rid of two of the gauges. i don't know which ones though... vacuum and voltage? oil temp is usually dead nuts with engine/water temp, so maybe i can nix that one?

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I like #6... but remember the higher you go on the dash the less room you have... so items/gauges that are deep might not have enough room.

Also think about the defrost duct... will the inlets for the hoses get in the way of your guages?

I found out the hard way and had to re-create the vent with only 1 inlet

FYI... more pics on my dash construction in my build thread

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_00350wr.jpg
    IMG_00350wr.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0091_WR.jpg
    IMG_0091_WR.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 80

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
5 is the best one in my opinion .. I think that the gauges might get in the way of the defrost tube and other items ... Where is your radio.

Trey Taylor

Diggin the Vans That's my skull!!! (Fast Times). I like #4 but have fuel,water temp.,oil psi.,volt. and angle them toward driver.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Graphico i saw your dash build, it was part of my inspiration! what did you coat your dash with? i was going to have mine powder coated.

I don't have a defroster or a heater, and it's always 75 degrees here so not super worried about that... BUT thank you guys for bringing up the fact that i have less room the higher up i go-

the stock switch that requires the most room would be the headlight switch? i am pretty sure the wiper switch is small, choke is small, lighter is small and ignition is going low anyway.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll vote other...I would get rid of the Oil Temp, Comp PSI, Vac and Fuel PSI gauges. Oil is redundant on engine temp. Fuel would be nearly as useful simply hooked to an idiot light. Vac is often used as a econometer, but we're talking about a bronco, so that's moot. Comp PSI, not even sure what its for. I would also ditch the fuel pump switch and replace it with an inertia switch.

You said its not a racer, if it is a driver or wheeler, all those gauges and information would just distract me, I'd constantly be worried if the fuel PSI was perfect and jump every time the needle flickered. As I said, if there is a problem, an idiot light or two would point you in the right direction.

My $.02, it would also allow you to have a much cleaner dash.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I voted 1 - too many guages on the others. Remote mount 3 or 4 or get rid of 3 or 4. Maybe move some to an overhead console or just have a couple under the hood or pod mount a couple to a roll bar dash bar.

W650Mike

Loc.
Eastland, Texas
Consider moving the ignition, lights and wipers to the left of the wheel. Mid '60s Ford P/Us had the ignition on the left and I always liked it. It's also convenient to reach in the window while working on it.