• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on New dash layout

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
Thanks for all the replies....final decision was made and here it is. Decided not to use the IH light switch, I already have H4 painless headlights so the headlights are already on relays, grabbed a double throw switch that I didn't have to modify the mount. Since I have USB in a rocker style switch I decided not to put the 12V/cigar type plug on the dash, I will put it in the cubby under the dash on the side. Nice to have it but don't expect it to be used much. Going back without the dash pad so that opens up other options to keep the Holley EFI monitor mount off the face of the dash. The small gauges are just sitting in tight holes, enough hole saw walk that they are not perfect but there is enough meat that I can tweak the holes to get them lined up little bit better, although not bad as is. Ignition switch bezel is a royal pain, used small files and dremel and it's about as close to perfect fitting as I could get it. Rather than sheet metal screws for the rocker switch panels I used nutserts, another thing that there is no forgiveness on alignment, but with a small round file you can open the holes a little in the direction to get them lined up and the head of the screw covers it. Used 10-24.
Next is to strip the old dash underneath and then use the 3M panel bond to permanently attach the overlay. After that shoot some epoxy primer on it and then it sits until time to paint the rest of it.
The overlay fits pretty good, I would say it's probabaly as good as you can get with the tolerances of these old trucks. however the crease above the column opening and the crease below is just a tad bigger than the dash, enough that I have a small 1/8" inch gap at the bottom of the column cover, I don't think you would ever notice after installed but I should be able to do a little body work to handle while securing with the panel bond.

I am getting ready to do the same type of thing, and was wondering how your dash turned out. Trying to figure out whether I want to use the panel bond adhesive or try to use riv-nuts and a piano hinge on part of the overlay to be able to easily access the wiring back there....did you go through that thought process as well?

Sam 15

I am getting ready to do the same type of thing, and was wondering how your dash turned out. Trying to figure out whether I want to use the panel bond adhesive or try to use riv-nuts and a piano hinge on part of the overlay to be able to easily access the wiring back there....did you go through that thought process as well?

Check out this CL for EB dash....in Gardena...close to Los Angeles. Might save you some money...or cost you some but might save some time. If I didn't get smoke when I touch two wires together I'd buy it.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/d/gardena-dash-assembly-early-ford-bronco/7338688838.html

Rick

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru

No regrets on the panel bond. However it's not cheap, depending on how much time you put into it you might be just as well to get a complete blank dash.

Attachments

• IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 43

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
No regrets on the panel bond. However it's not cheap, depending on how much time you put into it you might be just as well to get a complete blank dash.

If you can even get a complete blank dash nowadays - everyone's out due to Covid backups. I'm going overlay. Your dash looks fantastic. Really like the layout.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Great work! I'm not going to be able to recognize your Bronco the next time I see it with all the "new" inside and out.