• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash lights not working

WSM29

Sounds simple enough. My dash lights are all aftermarket and it’s a simple power and ground hook up. They all worked flawlessly for years and now they are all off. I have my running/parking lights working just fine when I pull the the switch out once but my dash lights are no go. I tried moving the dimmer and no change. I try to avoid being upside down under the dash as much as humanly possible. Any leads on this to narrow the tracing down? Could this be in the switch or did I rub/cut a main power and ground? Any leads in the coming days will help before I have to play twister getting under the dash. Thanks!

mrdrnac

Contributor
Simple question, are you sure the headlight switch is not dimmed all the way down? Happened to me once.

JSBX

Contributor
I have to turn the dimmer on my head light switch and find just the right spot for my gauge cluster lights to come on. I know it is time for a new switch but like you I hate lying on my back with my feet propped up on a stool to work under the dash. It might be time to bite the bullet and crawl under there to do some troubleshooting. Sometimes it is easier for me to pull a seat out so I can lie on my back with my legs stretched out inside the bronco and a pillow on the floor board. Good luck.

Rangerbj

First check the fuse. Is power getting to the fuse?

If fuse has power, then pull one of the easier bulbs in the gauge cluster. Check the bulb and then the socket with test light. Does it have power?

If the fuse and light bulb socket don't have power but head lights come on. Then it is the switch IMHO

Why do I know, because I just went thru this last week. It was the switch.

The switch can have power that turns on headlights, but the switch must also distribute power to the dash thru the fuse box. So if fuse box at instrument fuse has no power, it's the switch.

The switch was not that hard to remove and install. No special tools , just an arm that that can snake in to push button on top switch to release the pull knob. Then flat head screw driver unscrews the switch from the dash.

When you install new switch, just glue that spacer on and it goes much easier.

Switch is cheap, mine was $14.99.

Good luck

OP
OP
WSM29

WSM29

Popped in a new switch from the zone and it works fine now.