• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash opinions, looking for feedback

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright, I am
working on a new dash layout (going to get an overlay laser cut) and am trying to get it all figured out before the cutting begins. Anyways, I am moving the stock cluster over towards the middle but just off center to avoid one of the defrost ducts, one will be capped and that line will be routed to the 2 dash vents (using chevy blower to add mo flo). Anyways, I will be using 4 aftermarket gauges, those are the 4 smaller red circles, and 2 f150 vents, they are the ones close to the speaker grilles. I am also going to use some of the stock stuff including the defrost, fan, and heater pulls (or I may use a rocker for the heater switch and leave the heat flap open all the time in winter and closed in summer). Also mounting the ignition switch, light switch, wiper switch and throttle cable (cruise control ;D ). So looks like I have 6 pulls and the ignition. I also want to mount a bunch of rocker switches like the carling style on the dash, I believe there will be 10. And also the stereo head unit. Anyways, shoot some feedback and errors as you see them. Here are the 2 I have been working on, the first seems more feesible as the first I would have to mount the stereo in the tuffy (dont really want to and I'd have to mod mine or find another as mine doesnt have the stereo mount) or put it on the pass side which is a little bit of an inconvenience.

Attachments

• dash3 copy.jpg
    dash3 copy.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 72
  • dash1over.jpg
    dash1over.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 50
  • dash4 copy.jpg
    dash4 copy.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
use the one on the left it has more room for expansion not to mention easier to read.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Aesthetically I like the one on the right but when I started trying to figure out where my pull knobs would go for heat and where I would put my deck I had to make the one on the right.

baglock

I like the one on the left. I wouldn't want to look to far to the right to read the speedo.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Here is another one...

This would allow the stock pulls to all be over the stereo.

Attachments

• dash4 copy.jpg
    dash4 copy.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I dont like the one on the right - I don't think you'll have as much access to the gauges as you'd like. Plus, symmetry just doesn't jive with me, turkey.

socalrick

Loc.
Tionesta
I like the last layout...I'm going through the same contemplation right now. Thatfold down dash is still sitting in my craw though....

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I think you will have a hard time seeing the speedo past the steering wheel on the last one. Top right is most symmetrical, therefore appealing to the left-brainer. What about an overhead switching block? I'd like to mount aftermarket gauges in pods and on a roll cage cross bar, then you have a wide open dash. The biggest bummer to speedo being toward the middle is that's just like the old Heeps. What about a tach?

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I do have one suggestion. Mount the smaller gauges in the appropriate size tubing cut it on an angle so that they angle slightly towards you. If you have the necessary clearance you could french them into the dash on an angle.

I didn't do it on mine (Bronco), but wish I had... maybe a project I can do later.

Here is a set that I did on one of my old bikes that kind of shows what I mean. These are frenched in, but I think it might look better inverted on an EB dash.

bike6.jpg

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
kinda like the one on the left. the one on the right - looks like it would be a stretch to read accurately.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Here is another one...

This would allow the stock pulls to all be over the stereo.

I like the last one the best, and keeping the heating controls in the stock location will make things a lot easier.

Is one of thos circles a tach?????
If so mount a tach in a pod on the steering column, It would then add room to design the dash a little different. Also having a tach on the column keeps it right infront of you, and to me the tach is one of the most important gauges

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks a ton for the feedback guys, it helps.

I plan to have the tach on the column or on the roll cage cross bar most likely. I'm okay with having the speedo only seen through the steering wheel, it basically is that way stock. Don, like you said those stock pulls dont like to be moved very much at all and having them over the stereo will allow them to be mostly centered. I am leaning towards the third, maybe with a few tweeks.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Tito what you using to draw those out with?

I think you should dump the stock cluster if thats the big circle, is big, old, and with all your new gauges in there confusing......as in why you got all the new nice gauges and still that old stuff? You wanna be new and up to date or dated?

I dont like the mixed look.....old or new you pick but one way or the other

But I vote for #3 if you must keep both

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Why do you even need the stock speedo??

Whatever guages you plan to use, get the matching 3 5/8 speedo. You then can get rid of the instument voltage regulator, and give yourself more room to mount the speedo where you might be able to see it.

Maybee something like this

Edit
Now that I think about it, thinking back when I did my dash-the pic I just did might not work. Unless your willing to something creative with the hoses going to the defrost vents, your hoing to have problems.

Let me think about it a bit more

Attachments

• titodash.JPG
    titodash.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 24

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Call it like you see it! what are yall making those with?