• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daughter's Project

SuperBroncoDuty

My dad has a Bronco he bought new in '74. After all the hunts and then us kids got vehicles of our own and he got to where he didn't hunt anymore, he parked it in the early 90's and well, that's where it still sits to this day. Just sitting there, not bothered by anyone until now. My 18 year old daughter for some reason called him and asked if she could have it. Said "my dad" will help me get it running and fix it. He was tickled she asked and told her yes. Said if you get it running, I'll sign the title over to you. So, for a solid week now, it has been millions of texts and pictures and links sent to me. She is on cloud nine and I don't have the first clue about what I'm going to do and if I did, where would I get the money to do such a thing? I can drive but totally in the dark about working on one. Well, I couldn't tell her no so this weekend I shall load her up on the trailer and bring it to the house and hopefully get some helpful tips from classic bronconators. Let the fun begin

jmhend

Bronco Guru
First off.... Welcome

Secondly, your in the right place. There are several super smart guys and gals here to help.

Remember the three simple things. SUCK, BANG, BLOW...

I would start with the little things like pour a little gas in the carb, jump / charge the battery and let it rip. Then start from there.

Also, where are you located? State would help but city would be better so that you can get folks closer to you to maybe even lend a hand.

Take the time and totally bond with your daughter too....

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Congrats on the new adventure! Find a local early bronco guru, you'll potentially save thousands of dollars, hours of unnecessary work and headaches. What state are you in?

SouthPaw74

Contributor
Loc.
South Florida
Nice story! What a great opportunity for your family!! Looks like a Ranger and nice foundation to start. Get it running and enjoy!! Leave the Patina!!

OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

Thank y'all, I appreciate it. I live in Starkville, Ms. I will start with a new battery and a shot of gas in the carb to see what happens. Do I need to check fuel lines and fuel tank for possible rust? I hope my daughter is ready to get dirt and grease under her nails cause I'm not doing this alone lol

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Thank y'all, I appreciate it. I live in Starkville, Ms. I will start with a new battery and a shot of gas in the carb to see what happens. Do I need to check fuel lines and fuel tank for possible rust? I hope my daughter is ready to get dirt and grease under her nails cause I'm not doing this alone lol

I have a buddy in Flora, MS who is on here, he is really great wit these broncos and about as nice a guy as you could ever meet. Message me if you would like his info.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Incredible story, that's what it's all about right there. You're in the right place. Have fun and make memories.

71 CA Bronco

What a great project and good advice by the Bronco crew. Get someone to help that has done this before. It will save you a boat load and keep you from going down the wrong path. It may not take much to get it running again. Battery, clean fuel system and tires to start.

I posted your pictures from your garage. Hoping they show up here.

Attachments

• 23742t_1.jpg
    23742t_1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 23743t_1.jpg
    23743t_1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 23744t_1.jpg
    23744t_1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 23746t_1.jpg
    23746t_1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 23740t_1.jpg
    23740t_1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 23741t_1.jpg
    23741t_1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
S

SuperBroncoDuty

I plan on doing as much as I possibly can to save as much as I can. And thanks for getting my pics there. I had and still have no clue how to do that lol

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Welcome! Great father - daughter project! We made ours a family project and made a ton of memories along the way. You are definitely in the right place for help, advice and support.

jmhend

Bronco Guru

I say get it to fire and run (even if its for a minute or so), then start the investigation on all of the other stuff. After sitting for several years it is almost a must that you will need to clean the tank and at a minimum blow the lines out.

Feel free to ask any questions. He was able to post your pictures because he is a contributor. I think it is a $12.00 cost that goes to maintaining the site.

Link to become a Contributor:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

I would also suggest starting a build thread and document your time and build with your daughter. You will enjoy looking back at the documented progress.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Before you go cranking on it pull the plugs and squirt a little ATF in the cylinders then turn the engine by hand. make sure its free. then squirt a little more tranny fluid in the cylinders and crank the engine by starter if that goes good then put the plugs back in. pop the air cleaner off the engine. take a small squeeze bottle and fill it with gas. pour the gas down the carb vent and fill the carb until the gas spurts up the vent. let it sit over night and try to start the next morning. when trying to start set parking brake and find tranny neutral. then try to start. make sure you looking at everything while its trying to start. you don't want fuel and sparks flying about. allot of old projects meet their demise by catching fire. cracked hoses and rodent chewed wires can kill any project. So just be careful. old rat smell is hard to miss if present check wiring very carefully. don't use starting spray unless you have to and just to verify the engine pops and trys to start. you don't run an engine on the stuff.

after a Bronco sits along time systems start to fail especially.
Battery, fuel pump, carb leaks, fuel lines, water pump and all cooling lines, brake systems like master cylinder and wheel cylinders rubber brake lines and sometimes the steel lines too. Just be careful and work the problems as they come up.

Everyone here wants you and your daughter to succeed and we are ready and willing to help as much as we are able. you have found the right place and the best site on the internet.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Pretty cool daughter wanting to dig in. In fact, three generations of cool! Have fun with it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Before you go cranking on it pull the plugs and squirt a little ATF in the cylinders then turn the engine by hand. make sure its free. then squirt a little more tranny fluid in the cylinders and crank the engine by starter if that goes good then put the plugs back in. pop the air cleaner off the engine. take a small squeeze bottle and fill it with gas. pour the gas down the carb vent and fill the carb until the gas spurts up the vent. let it sit over night and try to start the next morning. when trying to start set parking brake and find tranny neutral. then try to start. make sure you looking at everything while its trying to start. you don't want fuel and sparks flying about. allot of old projects meet their demise by catching fire. cracked hoses and rodent chewed wires can kill any project. So just be careful. old rat smell is hard to miss if present check wiring very carefully. don't use starting spray unless you have to and just to verify the engine pops and trys to start. you don't run an engine on the stuff.

Battery, fuel pump, carb leaks, fuel lines, water pump and all cooling lines, brake systems like master cylinder and wheel cylinders rubber brake lines and sometimes the steel lines too. Just be careful and work the problems as they come up.

Everyone here wants you and your daughter to succeed and we are ready and willing to help as much as we are able. you have found the right place and the best site on the internet.

Great advice right here!

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
The hard top may pop out if you take a rubber mallet to the inside. You have a blue Ranger, pretty cool Bronco. A power washer and RustyTruck's advice is a great starting point :cool:

71 CA Bronco

Times 3 here. Good advice by Mr. Rusty.

You should be able to pop out that top fairly easily. I would not use a hammer, unless you are good at body work, you could cause more damage to the top.

Cut a short piece of 2x4 (maybe 18" long) and nail it to another length to make a t-post. Then lay some plywood or sheet steel on the floor (so you don't dent the floor while jacking) inside the Bronco, cut the T-post to fit on top of a small bottle jack or use a scissor jack that comes with most modern cars. Place the t-post on top of the jack and carefully jack up the T-post and top. You can carefully tap down on the outside as you do this if necessary with a rubber mallet or body hammer. It probably will not be needed though. Those tops are very flimsy.

Try not to put too much pressure on the floor (hence the plywood or sheet steel support. If you need too hit it hard you might want to cut a block to be placed between the underside of the floor panel and transmission for support. It would not be fun caving in the floor board and causing more damage to the Bronco.

Keep us posted. We love to see the progress.