• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Defroster duct install. Remove dash or no?

broncobuddha

Sorry guys, all of the threads seem to be fairly old and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

I have a new replacement defroster duct that I ordered from Tom's and I'd like to put that in. Question is do you have to remove the dash or loosen it to be able to put this in?

Current status of my Bronco:

No dash pad
Top off
Windshield down
No stock heater box or heater controls. It's all removed
Currently running an Accu heater. Think Mojave
No in-dash radio of any kind stock one is gone

Obviously I'd prefer not to have to mess with the dash at all, but I was thinking all of the screws were from the back side which is why I laid the windshield down. But some of the threads I've looked through mention having to at least loosen the dash but it still not clear.

Looking for diagrams of the actual screws that need to be removed to replace this.

On a secondary note, does anyone have any idea of which cars would be a good source for round AC vents? I think I'd like to use those instead of the f-150s.

Thanks!.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Are you replacing the plastic wedge ducts or just the hoses? If its the wedges, since you already have the windshield laid down, its easier to change them out if you remove the dash, especially when you route the ducts to the heater box (whenever you add one in). You don't have the pull the column just unscrew the back of the dash where it meets the window frame, un bolt the e brake brakcet, remove the trim around the steering column, un bolt the dash side braces and slide the dash back to give you enough room to swap out the ducts.

As for vents, a lot of guys are using aviation style ball vents https://www.goodrichaviation.com/product/aveoair-maxi-air-vents but if you're looking for more of an automotive application lots of Ford vehicles have a variety of round vents, F250, Mustang are some that come to mind. Good luck

BanditBronco

You should be able to install the duct with the dash in, as long as you don't have wires going every which way under there. I loosened all the bolts holding the dash on just so I had a little more wiggle room. Might have to pull the cables for the heater control as well. I am 99% sure you screw it in from the top side. I don't have a diagram, may be able to find one on Toms website or maybe WH. In my opinion getting the hard plastic duct in is the easy part. Routing the duct tubing around from the box to the defroster and over to the vents is the harder part.

Dne007

Contributor
Hi, There are a couple screws which I don't see how you'd be able to get to without pulling the dash. The dash itself fits tightly/ My memory kind of bites and I don't remember the details, but I had the dash on the workbench and so it was easier.

Attachments

• Bronco dash restoreb.jpg
    Bronco dash restoreb.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Thanks all. I'm referring to the actual hard plastic defrost duct. OG hoses have desintigrated.

There are wires everywhere under there.

However, as I said originally there are no heater knobs or cables anymore. All gone.

Stock heater box is long gone and removed.

I currently have an Accu Heat unit under the passenger side dash.

Since I don't have and have never had a pass side fresh air filter so to make more room for the heater I routed the hoses out that fresh air hole covered by a plate of aluminum I screwed in.

I've never had my dash loose before and to be fair last night was the first time in owning my bronco (almost 30 years) that I've laid the windshield down.

I was thinking all of the duct screws would be the ones uncovered by lying the windshield down but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
59d8137fc1046acc6974560eb6049207.jpg

c56afeb348af760bc2aec0383a3a95fa.jpg

Dne007

Contributor
I found a couple more pics

Attachments

• Bronco dash restored.jpg
    Bronco dash restored.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 59
  • Bronco dash restorec.jpg
    Bronco dash restorec.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

What I've found is there are 4 screws on the cabin side of the dash that secure the duct in place.

These holes line up with the screw tabs on the replacement duct.

Interesting thing is, all of those screws are missing on mine.

If I push down on the passenger side it wants to come out. Drivers side seems more difficult.

Also based on your picture above it almost looks like the harnesses for the hazards and wipers may be in the way.

So, I'm going to go remove the rest of the screws in the windshield channel, try again and if that doesn't work I guess I'll loosen the dash and see what I can do.

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

In the end I removed the dash, well, not completely removed it but completely unbolted it and moved it out enough to where I could get the old piece out and the new one in and also leaving it open while I at least attach the the defroster vent hoses.

7e6037dd65b38bfd2d1ffd307ce65113.jpg

Dne007

Contributor
Awesome, glad to see you accomplished what you set out to do;)

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Well it didn't all go to plan but it never does...

I never had a stock radio and years ago (sans defrost, I cut out the dash and put 3 gauges there. Those now hit the defrost tubes so I'll have to relocate them haha.

And I should have my head examined for trying to use new defrost hoses with those old school worthless tightening tabs. One of them just doesn't want to stay on.

But I've got air coming through the vents now.

Just need to get a closable round vent for the other heater opening to force all the air up to the windshield when needed.

c7be265c3c4a98280d9835b931e62358.jpg

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

So for anyone searching this question, here is your answer:

Short answer is yes you need to completely unbolt the dash and at least move it out a few inches to give you room.

Is it possible to remove/install the hard plastic defrost duct without removing or loosening the dash? Yes. Only if pretty much everything behind the dash, including connections to knobs, no radio etc are gone. It will take less time to unbolt the dash.

The dash is basically 6 bolts and 7 screws.

Bolts:

1) Under the dash on the driver's side that holds up ebrake assembly.

2) There's a twin to that over on the passenger side.

3 & 4) Two upper bolts (one on each side) up by where the top part of the lower door seal terminates near the windshield.

5 & 6) the two bolts holding the windshield that must be folded down. (Top needs to be unbolted if it's on.

With windshield down there are 7 screws that hold the upper length of the dash to the body.

The defroster duct is held to the dash via 4 screws across the upper front of the dash.

That's more or less it I think. I'm sure I've missed something.