• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Deisel Bronco

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
I just puchased 70 bronco 6 cyl.,3 spd. in pretty good condtion and also have a 6 cyl. FORD industrial deisel engine (new in the crate) that I purchase for a peice of farm equipment that I no longer own. The engine is identical to the gas burner ,engine mounts, lenght,and looks like a simple straight hook-up to the trans bellhousing. Has any one ever converted to deisel? I know I'll have to replace rubber gas line with all metal. Will be used mainly for hwy rides in town and country. Does anyone have any any forseeable problems I might face? I really can't see any mods that I'll have to make.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Go For IT ..It's What it's all about ....if it's really the same size then it'll work ..
We always like a different project....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Interesting.

What is the engine for? Never heard of a diesel clone for any of the gas engines.

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
The engine was for a high-clearance row crop sprayer. I'll start snatching the gas burner out today,really dont see any problems other than maybe rpm's will be different. Might even install a snorkle like the Hummer. I know the exhaust and fuel tank will have to be changed but other than that who knows! We all start projects on the low end but one problem always lead to anther,Right!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How is it governed?
Is the injection pump set up to maintain the rpm at a set throttle position like most heavy equipment.
Or does it opperate like an on-road motor, where the only thing that changes the rpm is the opperator input?
I've read about guys getting good deals on the 4BTs, just to find out they came out of a pump or a backhoe, and end up having to buy an expensive injection pump just to use it.
Jon

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
How is it governed?
Is the injection pump set up to maintain the rpm at a set throttle position like most heavy equipment.
Or does it opperate like an on-road motor, where the only thing that changes the rpm is the opperator input?
I've read about guys getting good deals on the 4BTs, just to find out they came out of a pump or a backhoe, and end up having to buy an expensive injection pump just to use it.
Jon

Sounds like possible rain on the parade.

I'm definitely hoping to see this project go forward though.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Is the motor non turbo? Ive driven a few non Turbo diesels (MB 300D, Nissan Maxima, Ford IDI trucks) and some of them are so slow to the point of being dangerous. The 300D was the worst of them.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The fuel tanks will be fine, just drain the gas and fill with diesel.

Exhaust pipes may be ok as well.

The injector pump is the question, and you will want a turbo, non turbo diesels are total slugs. i have a 6.2 non turbo Chebby. unplug half the spark plugs on your current engine and thats what it will be like.

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
Me and 4 freinds coming and going along with 6 cases beer and 5th J.D had swap and running in 9 hrs flat. All kinds of pesky problems but nothing a few beers could not fix. Snatching and installing was a peice of cake. The hardest part I think was routing new metal fuel line under and around damn near EVERYTHING !! had to have new exhaust pipe from manifold cut and bent(trial and error crap) reused same tank.Had a hard time cranking then a expert showed up and filled fuel filter and VAROOM--- she a bad bitch boys', great sound coming out. let it run for 10-15 minutes,drank a couple beers and slid under the wheel. She is BAD-BAD-BAD,: yALLS' hero Ted Nuggent ain't got sh*t compared to this.I'm no engineer but this is what fomoco needs to come out with. 3 gal.fuel in tank and already 76 miles driven,TO high to figue mileage now but know thats beats 10 Iwas gettin.Might paint her now aand make her purty.Going to bed now tired and drunk(smile).will get back tomorrow.GITERDONE--------GOT HER DONE BYE!!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WOW i THINK I'LL throw a BBQ & BEER IF those guys will come an install my 4bt ...i'm thinking I'll be 6 months..
...I've seem some ford ind tractors motors in like the 600 or 640 ford tractor ..in the past had wondered about them but figures the pumps would be the problems...But I really thought there replaced the old 223 ford motor about a 1961 tr.

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
Just had a few beers for breakfast and still sore as h*ll. when I recover from yesterday I'll go out to the shop and see what all we screwed up. Yall dont go to asking detailed tech. questions cause I'm not cert. mechanic, do know my way around older type motors without computers , but certainly not a mechanic thats what freinds are for! I'll try to get pictures and scoop up all the info for you. I can say that trans,is the same,did put in new clutch while changing.------Lator Gators

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Come'on man, you're just teasing us. We need details on the motor. Sounds like something no one else has ever tried. Pics pics pics!

J.D.

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
O.K I'm back. Me and my personal " JOE DIRT " finally got all the crashers out and sent home to their loved ones in one piece with my ears burning from be accused of being a bad influance (I'm Not) from their female loves. Anyhow, fired "bad bitch" up again and let her idle and checked everything out,finally got the nerve to squat down which I knew was going to hurt, and got under the bronc and DAMN the muffler was cherry red, my first thought was who put on the red muffler??? then it dawned on me that was heat red .Oh sh*t!!!. Shut it down fast and cussed while I popped a PBR and started thinking I need to get "Joe Dirt" to take the muffler off and lets do a sceintific study to anolize the situation we currently find our selves in. Any way we're still anolizing, but I did get a little info for you tech nuts,not much but here it is: Label on engine says; FORD POWER PRODUCTS---ENGLAND--220 cid @ 128 H.P @ 4,000 rpm's. Don't mean sh*t to me, I'll let you guys figure all the complicated technical asspects to ratio's vs.rpm's and pto's and lifts paramoters. Will let you know about the muffler question after carefull study of said problem and various phone calls to the local experts after they get out of the dog house later today (I hope) maybe they will show up and help anolize with sceintific thoughts . Later-gators ?? why ENGLAND ????

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
What the h*ll is a 4bt and do I really need to know ? Any way ya'll chill out on thr pictures,their coming and get some of my Hooter girls to pose with the "Bitch",maybe even put some grease on their faces and a wrench in their hand. I'm no photographer I'll get a good one (might even make a Hooter calender) what ya think ?

OP
OP
E

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
"JOE DIRT" just got back and the chicken wings are cold and they suck. Don't know what I'm going to do with him. The Cinncinati Reds were in town and I was on the mound,had 2 men on base because my hung-over second baseman let a grounder slide between his legs and an outfeilder who shall remain nameless had not had any sleep in 3 days due to ***** drops a easy pop-up. My pitching coach came out and told me since their best hitter was coming up to throw for his head; I told him I'd rather hit him in the nuts,he laughed and asked why? I said the last time they were in town I found out he was @#$*ing my ex-girl and she was now sitting up in the stands and tonight she'll be disappointed in his performance. He swallowed his tobacco and grunted something about screwballs? I said you never taught me that pitch, coach? He left me standing there all alone !! He now sings saprano !!whats this got to do with Desiel engines (nothing)!!!!!!!!

Last edited: