• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Delphi steering Box

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
From what I am reading the Delphi power steering box in not used to offen. Is there problems with this box? In 2013 I installed one in a 1968 Bronco. Except for getting hoses I had little problems. I did not keep the Bronco long and only drove it maybe 10K miles but I had no problems. One of the biggest advantages is the steering box can be had for about $200 less. And I am on a budget so this will help with other things.
I have gotten another one for the 1967 I am working on now. Does anyone have a sugestion for hoses?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Had one on for many years now. I bought a Borgeson with hoses. Not a single issue with 32's or my now 33's. Street only but for some dirt/md roads

Tim

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
I have not removed the hose fittings. They were cut off at the box but are screwed into it. The box I put on the 68 had banjo type fittings. I had to go to a hydrolic shop to make up hose.

Attachments

• SDC12010.jpg
    SDC12010.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 30
  • SDC12012.jpg
    SDC12012.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 28
  • SDC11991.jpg
    SDC11991.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SDC12011.jpg
    SDC12011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
  • SDC12013.jpg
    SDC12013.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 26

Digger556

Been running mine for close to 5 years. (Owned for 8, truck build for 3 yrs just sitting)

Running 37s, DDing, towing and light trails so far. Previous owner installed it 10-12 yrs ago, so it has some miles.

The Jeep Cherokee (WJ) and early Xterra guys use the same box. It may not be as heavy duty as other options but it seems to be holding up.

Hoses are easy. You can buy the GM o-ring to AN adapters and use Aeroquip FC300 hose to create your own custom hoses with std hand tools. The end fittings are reuseable, so if a hose is worn or damaged, its easy to fix.

(Blue hose)
51118229494_170b1f53d9_o.jpg

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Minor hijack on this thread. Is the Delphi box any more precise that the factory box? I have a rebuilt box, solid column u-joints and all new bushings. There is much more play in the wheel compared to anything I have driven from the 60's era.

Digger556

Precise? No, if comparing 2 boxes of similar wear and tear.

The Delphi boxes are newer however and therefore tend to have less wear. This would be especially important where the sector shaft rides on the needle bearing. Slop in this area can only be fixed by replacing the sector shaft.

What tie rod arrangement do you have?

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Minor hijack on this thread. Is the Delphi box any more precise that the factory box? I have a rebuilt box, solid column u-joints and all new bushings. There is much more play in the wheel compared to anything I have driven from the 60's era.

I found A new borgenson to be way tighter... I had my original box rebuilt and still had plenty of slop. Its been 4 years now and it is just as tight as day one steering 33" tires mostly on street with some trail adventures.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Modern manufacturing typically is built to much tighter tolerances. Add in refined tuning. Vintage power steering tends to be over-boosted, no feel, park with your pinky finger. Modern boxes still have good assist, but you get some feedback, actual road feel.

I wouldn't say that Delphi boxes are not used much. I think they are used very often. Good for a moderate sized tire. I think people often look for the stoutest box that is affordable so they can turn some big tires, where the 4x4x2 box is a good choice.