• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I buy a 351 Windsor w/ my Bronco?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Those are GT40 heads, not GT40P
The sparkplugs are angled and there are three bars on the end not four.

Good find.

OP
OP
darrell82

darrell82

Have you done a compression or leak down test yet? My only recommendation is to check overall engine health before throwing money at performance upgrades.

The preference is a leak down test (to determine if & what is wrong). Although if you have a compression gauge it can tell you if something *is* wrong.
I bought a compression gauge and performed the test. Says to warm up first but had all the plugs off and ready so I did it with a cold engine. Anyway, here are the results from cyl 1-8: 150, 165, 147, 165, 160, 155, 155, 145 PSI. So it seems all is well with the heart of my steed.

OP
OP
darrell82

darrell82

Ok Y'all, so I bought the GT40 heads and they are currently waiting to go to the machine shop to get bead blasted magnaflux tested, valve job and ported and painted black. I was checking my current head bolts that are in my 302 with 302 heads and they should be 7/16 right? but, no they are not. They are not even 1/2. They are 11/16 bolts! Has anyone ever seen this and have any insight on this. I don't have a clue. I just hope that when it's time to install the GT40 heads they will go in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you measuring the head of the bolt or the shaft?
I can guarantee you don't have 11/16 bolts, that's nearly 3/4"

OP
OP
darrell82

darrell82

Are you measuring the head of the bolt or the shaft?
I can guarantee you don't have 11/16 bolts, that's nearly 3/4"

OK, so obviously excuse my ignorance as I am still new to the Bronco and mechanic life but, i did measure the head and I thought the head determines the shaft. So, I guess I will remove it and measure it.
And good news it is a 7/16.

GT40 head swap is back on track

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Will be interested to hear how much of a difference those GT-40's make.

I have stock oem smog era heads that I worked over a bit, it was 20+ years ago, I was a poor college student, couldn't afford any better heads etc, etc.... .
There's only so much you can do with the passages without knowing what you are doing but I cleaned them up a bit and replaced the springs and push rods with Edelbrock and Comp Cams guide plates with Harland Sharp Roller Rockers and Rhodes Lifters. They have been great but I always wondered how much better it would have been to start with much better heads like your GT-40's.

Keep us posted on your results.