• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Different approach to engine compt heat

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
There's a ::) jeep in the latest 4Wheel & Offroad that got me thinking. He has a 302 and has put electric fans with ducts on the underside of his hood to pull hot air out of the engine compt. Not a bad idea, but I like the way my hood looks. You could probably get the same results by putting a couple fans with ducts on your wheel wells. That gets them closer to your main heat source (headers) and if you build a duct inside your wheel well your tire shouldn't fling mud/water/sand/whatever into it. I think I'll put this on the to do list for when money is freed up. I just thought I'd post it in case someone else has tried it or wants to give it a shot.

randall

ive never thought about your idea, but i did see the jeep your talking about in the new petersons, it was a participant in the ultimate adventure. Your idea should work great. I think im going to just take my wheel wells out all together to cool it down, and then just try to stay out of the mud. But your idea sounds really cool. It will be nice since you wont get mud everywhere in there.<br>

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
There was a site where the owner of a EB cut the inner fenders out and put in place some screen.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I'll just keep running the little 6 cyl she is a cool runner, just cant make it the real steep hills which makes the wife happy ;D ;D ;Dlol<br><br>

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=Jeep Slayer link=board=5;threadid=9632;start=0#69165 date=1033311822]<br>I'll just keep running the little 6 cyl she is a cool runner, just cant make it the real steep hills which makes the wife happy ;D ;D ;Dlol<br><br><br>[/quote]She's gotta keep you out of trouble some how ;D

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Thanks....I'll let you know. I'm saving up for the 24 gallon tank now. All I have is the 12 gallon main and 2 cans on my rack. It'll sure be nice making a run without having to gas up at lunch.

Broncmeister

That's a good idea. I think I will do that. Of course, after I get my winch, new bumpers, kc lights, carpet, fix the rust, replace heat cables, replace my windshield wipers, get a new windshield frame, rear disc brakes, and of course a new paint job.<br>

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Years ago I had a CJ3A. These had inner fender wells alot like the Broncs. The one I had had the inner<br>fenders cut with vents. It looked alot like a sharks gill slits. I was thinking of doing this because my engine<br>fan seems to throw the air off to the sides of the motor. It seems to me that this would work alot like the <br>screen idea.

Broncrick

Loc.
Nevada City,CA
[quote author=Lttrbox link=board=5;threadid=9632;start=0#69470 date=1033395749]<br>Years ago I had a CJ3A. These had inner fender wells alot like the Broncs. The one I had had the inner<br>fenders cut with vents. It looked alot like a sharks gill slits. I was thinking of doing this because my engine<br>fan seems to throw the air off to the sides of the motor. It seems to me that this would work alot like the <br>screen idea.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think you mean punched louvers like old style hot rods run, not too bad an idea..... Hhmmmmm

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I cut most of my wheel wells out and it helps. Especially when you get a cross wind. I can see the heat rising from my hood when I am idling...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I also found that if you use an open aircleaner under the hood it helps, as the engine sucks up the under hood hot air. You have a very high capacity suction pump under the hood at 302 + cubic inches. You would be supprized it helped my vapor locking 2 barrel a little. I gave up and changed to a Quadrajet and couldn't be happier.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=9632;start=15#69642 date=1033427654]<br>I also found that if you use an open aircleaner under the hood it helps, as the engine sucks up the under hood hot air. You have a very high capacity suction pump under the hood at 302 + cubic inches. You would be supprized it helped my vapor locking 2 barrel a little. I gave up and changed to a Quadrajet and couldn't be happier.<br>[/quote]I cant agree more. I have a k&n filter mounted in my PS hood vent. So I get cool outside air instead of 220 degree underhood air. It droped my engine temp from 210 to 190.