• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

difficulty rating

carpsak09

Loc.
Sperryville
on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it to rebuild a Dana 20 transfer case. i just priced the rebuild at a local shop and with me buying the rebuild kit and the t-case already out of the bronco it is still $260.00 is that about right? was thinking about doing it myself and wanted to know how hard it would be. would i need any special tools? thanks for the help.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I rebuilt mine and thought that it was pretty easy. Snap ring pliers come in very handy, a rubber mallet/hammer and some brass drifts. Also, you will either need to buy a press, or take some parts in to get bearings pressed off and on. I just invested in a press and am glad that I did - I use it a lot now. But, local shops will press those bearings off and on for pretty cheap usually.

On a scale of 1 to 10 - I would say a 5, and I only give it a rating that high 'cuz it was my first time doing one. Have fun!

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Go for it

69Bronc said:
I rebuilt mine and thought that it was pretty easy. Snap ring pliers come in very handy, a rubber mallet/hammer and some brass drifts. Also, you will either need to buy a press, or take some parts in to get bearings pressed off and on. I just invested in a press and am glad that I did - I use it a lot now. But, local shops will press those bearings off and on for pretty cheap usually.

On a scale of 1 to 10 - I would say a 5, and I only give it a rating that high 'cuz it was my first time doing one. Have fun!

I totally agree. I just finished rebuilding mine and it was fairly easy (5-6). You might as well get a bench top press for the bearings. You also might want to consider twin sticking it while your rebuilding it. Just get the overhaul manual, take your time and go for it. I can't the link to the manual or the twin stick mod right now, just do a search and you'll find it. If not I can email you a copy or post it to my web site.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS

I'm Not At Work Now But If I Remember ...dodge Warranty Only Pays 1/2 Hour To R&r The Case After It Out....so I'd Give It About A 4...
Also My Running Buddy Did His And He Is No Mechinic Took Him About 1 1/2 Hour...so I'd Get Me A Good Manual And Go For It ....
Pa Pitt

OP
OP
C

carpsak09

Loc.
Sperryville
i think i can

well you have given me the confidence. i ordered the rebuild kit and the twin stick conversion from WH. i am going to get most of the rust off of the housing and paint it while i am waiting for the new parts to get here. i wanted to know is there a way to tell i did it right after i get done. i am doing a complete resto so the t-case probably wont be in the truck for atleast 6 months. is there any way to tell?? thanks.

rednck21

it is very time consuming. especially if you take the shift rails out to change the small seals on a j shift.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I rebuilt mine a few years ago...when I was only 17 in high school. The only tricky part is pressing in the bearings and building and packing the center idler bearing. If you are gonna be doing all that work anyway might as well convert it over to twin stick as well.

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
carpsak09 said:
well you have given me the confidence. i ordered the rebuild kit and the twin stick conversion from WH. i am going to get most of the rust off of the housing and paint it while i am waiting for the new parts to get here. i wanted to know is there a way to tell i did it right after i get done. i am doing a complete resto so the t-case probably wont be in the truck for atleast 6 months. is there any way to tell?? thanks.

Glad to hear you are going for it! ;D The only real checks are the preload, how hard it is to turn the yolks, and shifting it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Are the Bronco vendors the only place to get rebuild kits or can they be had at the chain stores or put together piece by piece?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
ransil said:
Are the Bronco vendors the only place to get rebuild kits or can they be had at the chain stores or put together piece by piece?

You can get them at a lot of different places. Ebay, drivetrain specialty stores, local tranny shops, etc. Do a google search on Dana 20 rebuild kit and you will see a lot of different options.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Here is thing I did
http://www.wt4x4.net/tech/twinstick.htm
its not rebuilding it, but pretty darn close.

Its VERY easy, the only issue you will have to removing and installing the new bearings.
A machine shop will do this for some what cheap, or Harbor freight has 20 press's for about 100$ and you can do it yourself.

For rebuild kits, get it from a bronco vendor. I get most of my drivetrain parts at cost through an accout with spicer/timken and I was still not close to some of the bronco vendor prices.