• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake conversion questions

fordwheeler

Loc.
Nashville
So I'm looking to go to discs on the front of my 66...I'm going to use the front axle of a 74' though. Should I use a disc conversion kit, or is it better with a whole swap? Any suggestions?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
'74 Dana 44 axle could use the Ford knuckles, spindles, calipers, rotors, etc....
Or the Chevy conversion stuff ('73? to '78). You can ofcourse get this stuff from the junk yards or the vendors you see on this site.
Junk yards are cheaper but can be a PITA.
The kits are expensive but every little thing is included and they have instructions.

OP
OP
fordwheeler

fordwheeler

Loc.
Nashville
Well I'm essentially doing a full restore and I told the shop I might want to go to discs. I had a 74 in which I'm using the drivetrain from so it's just the body and frame from the 66. Just wondering the best route to take for the conversion

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Both the Chevy and the Ford conversion are about the same.

Kit = quick and $$$$
Pull yourself = time finding the parts

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
IMO....just go with the Chevy conversion. It is a little simpler since the knuckles don't come off. There is some arguement that the Ford equipment is slightly better in stock form.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
To keep it simple, go with the cheby conversion either in kit form or Junkyard. I did power/front disc at the same time, and tried junkyarding. I wish I had just ordered the entire kit. I used horspowersales on ebay, and they have complete kits and great tech services(at least when I did mine back in 2009).

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
IMO....just go with the Chevy conversion. It is a little simpler since the knuckles don't come off. There is some arguement that the Ford equipment is slightly better in stock form.

Agree but while you're there.....take the knuckles off and do the ball joints. Chances are, there old as the hills (like mine were) and you don't want to "go back in" in later to change them. I went with NAPA prem's

Tim