• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Conversion (forgot something)

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
I bought, received and have installed my kit From Wildhorses but after reading a few online posts I think I might have messed up. *Can some please help me with the following?

1. *I installed the backing plate, but did not use the round ring because I did not know exactly where it went. *Do I need these? *The inner pad on the passenger side was hard to get in. *Could this have been due to the disc being just that little difference off?

2. *The pressed in spindle seal was not the same as what came off of my 73, so I removed it and used the rubber V type and on top of this did not see anything in the instructions that said to use the fiber washer so it was left out. *I see some posts now saying that it goes inside the spindle. *Do I need to tear it apart and put this fiber washer in?

3. *I had a hard time getting in inner hub bearing on the spindle so. Called Wildhorses. *I was told that the tolerance between the spindle and bearing is almost nothing and that I could put the bearing on the spindle and then slide on the hub. *Now I see a post hat tells me I should have installed an outer seal over the bearing. *Did I mess this up and should I take it apart and fix?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
#1 I'm not sure what rings you are talking about. Not that farmiliar with the chevy swap. Pics?

#2 The fiber washer is your axle thrust bearing. Yes you need to install that.

#3 Yes you need to go back and install the hub seal behind the inner wheel bearing. Your bearings aren't going to last long without them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The fiber washer (I usually find nylon or brass) should have a chamfer only on one side. The chamfer goes to they U-joint. that leaves you a perectly square corner for the spindle seal. Can't machine a perfectly square corner as there needs to be a radius ro prevent a stress riser. So the washer is a simple slip on engineering solutionto get the sharp inside corner without having a stress riser. And if you put the washer on backwards it will not seat correctly.

OP
OP
S

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
First, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Broncodriver99, unfortunately my camera has been misplaced, but I think what the ring piece I am talking about is a mud shield and since it looks like I need to tear them back down I will just insert them.

Broncnaz,

Thanks for the link, that is very helpful, although since I have now torn into this thing so much I have most of it down.

Broncobowsher, I took a look and you are right, not fiber but more like nylon and there is a beveled edge on the inside. I will tear it back down and insert that bevel against the axel.

On the bright side, I can now R&R a side in about 15 minutes with my impact wrench.

Thanks again,
Squid

OP
OP
S

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and all of the posts that provided me with some advanced knowledge.

Today my son and I got the rear hub seals in and the nylon spacer behind the spindle. *I have taken it for a test drive and everything worked great with the exception of my wheel weights that were rubbing on the shield. *I pulled them off and will go get the wheels rebalanced and have them place the weights in a different spot.

Thanks,
Squid