• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ditch the B*t@h Weekend Glamis Sand Dunes

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
There has been a standing tradition with a group of guys for the last 17 years called "Ditch the B*t@h" weekend. An all guys all excess weekend. No women No one under 18...... You can imagine how out of control this can get!

Well it's invite only and last year I finally got my invite. As long as you attend every year and don't break the rules you are invited the following year... if not you go on the sleeve of shame as a "fallen brother" for next years T-shirt. ;D

My brother inlaw and I loaded up on Thursday... I decided to take my CRF450x and the Bronco and he brought his 400EX.... I put the bike carrier on the Bronco to carry my bike

IMG_3635.jpg

We threw Billy's quad in the back of the truck

IMG_3636.jpg

And then got it all loaded up on the trailer.......

IMG_3638.jpg

We made it in about 4 hours and got unloaded... no sooner then we got unloaded and someone came up and said "Hey you guys into a rescue mission with the Bronco?" Hell yes.... so we followed out the Razors and Rhinos out to James stuck in his truck... we met some lively people!!! ;D

IMG_3639.jpg

When we got out to James' truck Tim volunteered to pulling him out

IMG_3640.jpg

Billy overseeing the operation from the co-pilot seat

IMG_3644.jpg

James blasting through the dunes with us in chase

IMG_3648.jpg

Stuck again

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

Here's a quick video of Tim pulling James out with the Razor and then dragging him around like a rag doll!! ;D

http://vimeo.com/36215641

We stayed up partying all night and finally went to sleep about 5:30am.... as we were waking at the crack of noon another request came in to rescue James' CRF450x out in the big dunes....

IMG_3656.jpg

We threw the bike rack on and loaded a cooler and James and heading out in the dunes..... we found a group of guys waiting patiently with his bike and got 'er loaded up!

IMG_3660.jpg

We enjoyed a few beverages after the cruise through the dunes... chatted a bit and enjoyed the view

IMG_3661.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
We had a fun run through the dunes to Oldsmobile Hill..... after perusing the crowd I decided to give the hill a try with bike, carrier and three people..... I was really surprise it went right up!

View from the top

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

James enjoying the break talking to his honey back in AZ

IMG_3667.jpg

Here's our chase team for the rescue mission..... and the wind was starting to get bad........

IMG_3668.jpg

As we got close to camp Billy needed a bio break.... I shut off the Bronco and it wouldn't start. We beat the starter into submission and got it to fire about 15 minutes later.... we got into camp, yanked the starter and heading into the Autozone in Brawley CA. To my surprise the starter was under warranty and no out of pocket cost.....! Woot! More beer money!! We got back to camp, got the starter in, fired the Bronco up and was met with this spectacular sunset!!!!!!!

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

My favorite!

IMG_3673.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The evening was full of food, drink and shenanigans.....Sobie bomb going off in the fire!

IMG_3674.jpg

We all loaded up again and made a run for Oldsmobile Hill through the dunes

IMG_3677.jpg

The wind was pretty nasty and tough to converse so we came back to camp about 2am.... we decided to party in the RV to stay out of the sand...bed time 5:30am again...

IMG_3679.jpg

Saturday morning it was time to get some seat time on the dirt bike.....with Billy on his quad, Scott in the Rhino and me on the 450x we blazed a path to Oldsmobile Hill to meet up with some friends...the second run up Olds and my 450x sucked a booger in the main jet and wouldn't run..... I jumped on Billy's quad and ran back to camp for another rescue mission with the Bronco...my own! %)

Here's a video of the trip back from camp to Olds to get the bike. I mounted the GoPro on the windshield... had the rack on the back and came though the foothills...

http://vimeo.com/36181333

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Awesome pics!!! Sounds like a fun weekend.

I have a '75 I am in the process of turning from a mall cruiser (PO installed Rancho style lift & rock-hard springs) into fun trail & dune rig...in the last 5 or so years I got her running and currently getting the brakes swapped to front PD & hope to get a Mustang EFI this spring...

What suggestions/observations on suspension and lockers did you notice from your trip if you don't mind sharing? Any " must-do's?"

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Once back to camp and some snacks in us we headed to the Saturday night drags at Gecko. We were ready for the sand this time!

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

We were running late so we cheated and took the highway for a bit....dropped into the dunes and finished the trek with the flags flying!

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

Most people were pulling out by the time we got there but we got a run in on the drags in two wheel drive! ;D

http://vimeo.com/36162723

At the end of the drags a rail had lost his transmission so we stopped for another rescue mission. We took him up to the road so a truck and trailer could get to him....

IMG_3688.jpg

Back at camp the shenanigans started again....

Normal size fire

IMG_3689.jpg

Sobie bombed fire!!! ;D You wouldn't believe the heat!

IMG_3690.jpg

We all packed up and headed to Oldsmobile Hill for the Saturday night festivities. We went bone fire to bone fire striking up conversations. The Bronco was extremely well received and again called on for another rescue mission. Way out in the dunes a Rhino had broke both it's front tie rods and needed dragged back to Olds so a truck and trailer could get to him. Meanwhile I got a chance to ride in a long arm rail with a supercharged LS6.... Oh my GAWD! Now I know what money can do for you! That thing was so velvet smooth, wheelie power and we came down Olds at about 60-70mph and jumped out into the desert about 100+ feet and landed amazing! Whoops? What whoops?? I could have been changing my contacts it was so smooth.....

We played and played in the dunes in the Bronco after that... came upon a rail stuck in the dunes... got him pulled out and sat and stared at the stars knowing this was our last night..... we got into camp about 4:30am and was out!

The ride home was quiet and uneventful....... what a trip!!! Hope you enjoyed the write up!

BRONCOS ROCK!!!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Way too much fun being had there!

;D

Miker

Bronco Guru
Hell yeah' enjoyed the write up. I wish others would consider posting up their similar escapades every now and then.

ILikeBond

Awesome, and sweet rig. Ditto on one of those sunset pictures being a calendar contender. Thanks for the story.

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome pics!!! Sounds like a fun weekend.

I have a '75 I am in the process of turning from a mall cruiser (PO installed Rancho style lift & rock-hard springs) into fun trail & dune rig...in the last 5 or so years I got her running and currently getting the brakes swapped to front PD & hope to get a Mustang EFI this spring...

What suggestions/observations on suspension and lockers did you notice from your trip if you don't mind sharing? Any " must-do's?"

Think light as a feather....and horsepower! There weren't many trucks out there at all this last weekend... one other Bronco and a few prerunners.... Side by Sides have taken over the planet out there! And where the hell do all these people get $100-$250,000 to spend on a rail??? WTH?

I run a spool in the back and works well in the dunes.... most stuff is done in two wheel drive... but the loose ups and the big hills 4x4 for sure....I wish I had more horsepower to excel out there but there is always something faster, lighter and angrier!

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome pics. Does it cost anything to run on the dunes?

Chris

There is a camping tag that must be put in your rig at camp.... I am licensed and insured on the Bronco so no charge. On my 450x I have OHV plate from AZ so no charge there.... but if I had no plate then you have to get a CA OHV sticker to run for that year.....

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Awesome! One of my Marine Corps buddies goes to Glamis all the time, says ya can't beat it.

OP
OP
motoman

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome! One of my Marine Corps buddies goes to Glamis all the time, says ya can't beat it.

When I was in the Marines in 1982 I rented a SCAMP trailer and dragged it behind my pickup to Buttercup Sand Dunes (south end of the same dunes as Glamis). I had a 1982 Kawasaki 3 wheeler at the time..... from then on I have been addicted to the dunes...... such a unique place on earth!!!

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
from then on I have been addicted to the dunes...... such a unique place on earth!!!

Know what you mean. We go to silverlake sand dunes in Michigan everyyear for the last 30 years. It's a great time in the sand!!!
frenchy

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Emotoman you rock. I used to read your eb projects for inspiration. Looks like you guys had a blast in the sand.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
What are all those old dudes doing up at 5:30am?!?! Im impressed! Looks like a great time

Get some more power and jump that canal next time!