• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

do I need to install an adjustable drag link to the drop pitman arm for a 3 1/2 inch

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
do I need to install an adjustable drag link to the drop pitman arm for a 3 1...

I didn't, and it's fine. Would be better if I had, though. My front end is slightly offset. No noticeable driving issues, though.

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

Ok thanks . I might just get it anyway. I did a little damage to the factory one trying to get the pitman arm off .

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
most def would need one to get the steering wheel straight. Its gona turn further one way than the other now. EDIT: just noticed you said drop pitman so you might not be that far outa wack with the drop arm.

Do you plan on a trac bar riser or drop? If not you might wana keep the stock arm instead.

Also would need a adjustable trac bar to recenter body.

You can just cut the drag ling and sleeve it like i did. I ran it like that for a few months then went with the GM 1Ton steering. I wouldnt waiste money on stock steering parts like drag links and tie rods. too expensive and junk IMO. The Gm 1TON steering is the cheep and much better way to go.

Pic of when i sleeved mine.....

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Maybe.
Even if you do need one it is still drivable, just not ideal.
Put it together, see if it needs one. If it does, get one, if not, don't.
In an ideal world the drop pitman arm and relocated track bar fix all the steering geometery back to stock. Reality is that doesn't always happen. Depending on how picky you are it may be good enough. If you are really anal about having everything just right, you can't get it just right with stock suspension and need one without a lift.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Along the lines of a adjustable trac bar you may also want to get a adjustable drag link as they both kida go hand in hand. you cant really adjust one without affecting the other.