• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

do timing chain or...engine swap candidates

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
Well...finally got spark...ended up timing chain broke...looking at $500+ for repair from the shop...can't really afford that...not really sure if that is a good idea, being as the engine has got 140K on it....not sure how to proceed...

i did try to crank it over quite a bit...there may be more damage that would need to be addressed, and i can't afford that...

should i attempt a repair...look for an engine to swap...

what do y'all think...

any suggestions as to what might be good candidate for a swap... i know y'all prefer the stang 88-93(not sure years are right), but that is not available now...there is an 88 LTD country squire wagon (302) with 57K miles on it.?..?..around $800, plus money for the swap...lookin' for suggestions....

thanks guys...:-[

ed

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Assuming there was no damage to the pistons and valves from the chain breaking, all of that work can be done with relatively few common hand tools and a pretty generic haynes or chiltons manual for about $50 or so. Perfect time to dive in and learn!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
timing chain & gears: $24
Timing cover gasket set: $18
manual: $15
Oil & filter (optionalbut recommended): ~$20
Antifreeze: ~$10
RTV:$6

If it were me I'd start by removing the heads and inspecting the pistons and valves.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say do it yourself. Its really not a hard repair, just a little time because you have to remove everything in front of the TC cover. Take pictures and read some posts here. Take your time, don't rush.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Take a good look at the damage before you decide. You may have to replace the timing cover if it got hit ($50-$60) or you may have been lucky. I don't know if a stock 302 is capable of eating its valves when you break a timing chain. Some of the older motors won't. Timing chain and gaskets shouldn't be more than $50. It's a job that everyone should learn to do if you want to drive one of these. I got 240K out of my origonal motor but then again I did all the regular maint. That LTD may well have 257K on it. Who would know?

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
do it
I have a new timming set and a good used timming cover
the timing install gasket set is cheap
and oil change is always good
side note this is a good time to check the water pump
Id spend another $30 or so just to know it is all good but with that said you can leave the timing chian cover bolted to the water pump and inspect from there

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd do the chain. You can do it yourself in a few hours for about $100 get you a good timing chain Melling, TRW, ect. Gaskets crank seal, oil ect, 140,000 miles is not that much if it wasnt burning oil and oil pressure was still good then you should be good to go. I would consider putting in new crank and rod bearings along with a new oil pump I'd also put in new lifters it would help it live even longer. But thats just me.
If your going to swap you might as well get a rebuilt engine for the money your talking about at least that way it would be pretty much all new.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
i'm gonna try...no i gonna do it...

it did not go while driving...good thing i think...

could i have smacked my valves around trying to start it.?.how can i test? What kind of damage could i have done?

Not sure if I know what is involved with replacing the crank, rod bearings, lifters, and oil pump...

baby steps...

thanks for the encouragement and advice

best

ed

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
About the only way to check without tearing the engine down is to do a compression test but you'll need to replace the timing chain first. I dont ever remember hearing any 302 having valve clearance issues when the timing chain has broken but I cant garrentee that it couldnt happen.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Be careful.. You might get hooked and go buy yourself a bunch of new tools.....

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I'd say, forget removing the heads. Put a timing set on it, re-install the cover, put it back together and see if it runs. If it does, then you are in luck, no rebuilds for awhile. If not you can still use the timing set on your next engine build.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
I'm with dieselracer, do the timing set first (how do you know the chain went?)
In the early to mid 80's the 302's would bend valves but the earlier ones I don't think would.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
tore it down...many of the nylon teeth completely gone...not in the oil pan...sucked into the sump?...how do I retrieve them.?..found some bonus pieces...thin rectangular piece of silver flexible metal (approx 3/4 by 1 1/2 inch) found next to distributor drive gear ...similar shredded pieces (the rest of it) found in the bottom of the oil pan...cam bearing.?..

think the metal scrap may have caused the timing teeth to be sheared? or is the metal scrap a result of the timing damage..?

suggestions.?..

Last edited:

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Tear it down to see what you have. No money spent just time to find out. Pay close attention to what bolts go where and get some zip lock baggies and a sharpie to lable stuff and where they go. Its real easy to take stuff apart. The challange is putting it all back together with the right fasteners in the right holes correctly the first time. I like to take a piece of cardboard and trace an outline of the part (ie timing cover) and stick the bolts in the correct holes thru the cardboard for future reinstall. Clean all threads and tap out all holes. The 302 isnt a interference motor so I would say your valves are ok. Its a domino effect on tearing a motor apart.....you find yourself saying "well, I have the timing cover off....the oil pan is right there, or the heads, or the intake"...............

as was suggested replace the water pump and fuel pump, If you pull the oil pan replace the oil pump. Inexpensive parts and still way cheaper than paying a shop to do it, or at least you'll have some nice tools when your done.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I always replace the oil pickup tube. It's cheap and hard to get all the trash out of it. How did the seal surface on the harmonic balancer look? They make a new press-on seal surface to fix one on bad shape. I won't use one because usually the balancer had bad rubber by that time anyway. I've also seen those things tear up and fall into the crankcase. Could that be what you found in there?