• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

do timing chain or...engine swap candidates

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're there! Pull the cam and check it all out. Be sure to keep your lifters and push rods organized so they go back the same!

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
didn't take a peak from the top but from the front...and the bottom, pulled the oil pan...looks like one is missing...another looks frayed (probably going)...couldn't see them all...not exactly sure what i was lookin at either.. unsure of how i'm going to proceed...

is it worth replacing the timing and cam bearings...and not rebuilding the engine at that point..?.

or since i'm going so deep, throw a little bit of money at it, as i can afford it and rebuild it over the winter.?..

thanks y'all

ed clark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Early 302, I have had stock engines hang valves (I had issues with the head builder). That is the valve opens, sticks in the guide and never closes. Both intake and exhaust clear. So if it is a stock engine, throw a timing set on and go. It is easy to get into look here, replace that, next thing you know you have a half rebuilt engine that is half assed.

All it needs is a timing set, put it in, quit worring about what else is going on in there. Sure it has 140k on it. Yes there will be wear. Why put effort into fixing some wear and ignor the rest. that is a waste of money. Put all the new parts in when you rebuild it, not at 140k. Give it what it needs now and go on with life. There is no reason (other then to fix a leak or part of the diagnosis already done) to even pull the intake or the valve covers. Save your money, leave it alone. When you look you will find wear, that is expected. Is it a problem? Not really! It was running before, unless it had a problem (not related to the timing chain going out) it should be just as good as it was.

Quit worrying about everything, put a timing set on it, drive it.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
is the floating bearing just "wear" or something to be more concerned with?...could the floating bearing and pieces have been the cause of the timing hanging up in the first place?...should i not expect the same thing to happen again?...although the replacement camshaft timing gear is not as forgiving do to full metal construction...lack of nylon teeth..? the bearing is soft enough, that if it gets free, it might just be chewed up and find a home in the bottom of the oil pan...

"broncobowsher" is right in the fact that i tend to worry and over think the problem...

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
There is a certain point where either you must go all out or dont bother. As was said either you rebuild the WHOLE thing or just get it running. If you notice bearings missing and its just not right. Concider yourself lucky you caught it now, but, now your committed to Full rebuild. or else you will forever second guess the engine.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
Yep, take it to the machine shop, let them tear it down and find out what is wrong. Any time there is bearing material displaced it's time to rebuild.