• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dodge rims back spacing

joshua

Contributor
I think these are a popular choice. But idk. I’m trying to keep the tires tucked in as possible. Wondering if anyone has run these and their thoughts on them.

I’m thinking 33s, or 35s probably 12.5 wide. If you have any info lmk. I should probably just buy um. He only wants 100 bucks

Attachments

• IMG_4683.png
    IMG_4683.png
    862.6 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At least a couple of members here running Dodge wheels. Don’t know if they’re the same ones, but I don’t think the typical wheels would be wide enough to put a 12 1/2 inch wide tire on. What size are these? Does it say in the ad?
They do look kind of wide. Are they stock, or replacements?
Typical Dodge wheels would definitely keep tires tucked in!

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Ahh I thought they were wider. That’s lame

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, that’s standard. Literally standard operating procedure in most cases.
And actually, you can get 12 1/2 inch wide tires on a 7 inch wheel. We used to do it all the time.
Problem is nowadays, most big tire stores won’t do it because it’s not within the tire manufacturers recommended rim width.
If you can find a small shop that will do it, then you can make that happen. It’s not optimal, and to some people it looks out of place.
I don’t mind 33 x 12.5 tires on the 7 inch wheel, and have done it in the past. When going off road it protects the rim edge and also serves to keep the tire bead seated at lower air pressures.
For the street you might have to play with air pressures a bit, but it might still not fit the look you’re going for.
Again, tucked in is tucked in, and those wheels are always going to be shallow looking because of the offset.
If you find a wheel, that’s 8 1/2 or 9 inches wide, then mount your 12 1/2 inch wide tires to it, they might rub on the inner edges. Certainly on the front radius arms when turning
There’s a lot of fiddle farting around when you go to a tire that wide on a Bronco.

I assume your body is fully cut and flared? Or are you running stock wheel well openings still?

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
No it’s cut. I just want to keep the stick out to a minimum. I called the tire shop. They said no go.

I’m really annoyed that I can’t find steel slots. I just want some white steel slotted wheels dam it!😂

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1716232218505.png
I know grease monkey build used them. Don’t know anything about them though

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also the issue of the center bore of the Dodge rims too small to fit over the front hubs/wheel bearings. You need to find a machine shop that has a big enough lathe to mount the rim to bore out the center hole.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
A boring bar on a Mill can get a proper center hole as well. While tedious setting up, a rotary table on a Mill is another option.

This is all depended on using hub concentric verses lug nut concentric. Lug nut concentric offers a easier solution.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
There is also the issue of the center bore of the Dodge rims too small to fit over the front hubs/wheel bearings. You need to find a machine shop that has a big enough lathe to mount the rim to bore out the center hole.
Well shoot. I snagged them up just in case. Dang it!

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
A boring bar on a Mill can get a proper center hole as well. While tedious setting up, a rotary table on a Mill is another option.

This is all depended on using hub concentric verses lug nut concentric. Lug nut concentric offers an easier solution.
These are lug centric I believe. So is it a big deal if the the bore isn’t exactly perfect? Im thinking one of the 4 barrel flap discs would do the trick. But if that’s going to affect anything with safety, I’d be out. I’ll just resell them and move on if that’s the case

Attachments

• IMG_4686.png
    IMG_4686.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Or is there a real course cylinder hone I could use? Idk just thinking here. Not sure a hone would stay straight as the stones ride on an axis. But maybe not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding the tire size selection, because these are 17s you have a lot of choices in tires that are relatively narrow. Somewhat less than the 12 inches mentioned earlier.
You could start with 265s, or if you want a wider look, you could go to 285.
I wouldn’t want to go any wider than that, but I think several members here have done wider versions.
I think the 265 is a good fit. For both the wheels, and the vehicle.
But you can play around with those numbers and see what you get. Most of which will easily mount to a 7 inch wheel I think.
You can always check the tire manufacturers websites to look at tire size/wheel compatibility.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
PM @1sicbronconut on here. He figured out an easy way to open up the center holes using commonly available tools. He would also know the backspacing.

Todd Z.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
The center hole isn't a big deal if it's not perfect. I've used 3 sets of these over the years and used a different method each time to open them up. First time was a torch, yea I said it, a torch. Second time I used the mill, pain in the ass. Third time I used a hole saw and it worked out great. I used a 2x that was cut to a circle a little bit bigger than the lug pattern. Cut the middle out of the 2x with the hole saw. I used that as the temple and to hold the hole saw in place. I ran screws through the lug holes to secure it to the wheel. Since you are only taking a little bit off it was easy to center the 2x on the wheel. You need a good 1/2" drill and hole saw as well as lots of lube. Hopefully that makes sense!

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sent you a PM on the wheels, I run 17" Dodge wheels on my uncut with BFG all terrains, the Explorer has been converted to 5x5.5" bolt pattern and runs 16" Dodge wheels with 265 75'16 Goodyear Duratracs. I'm thinking the back spacing is about 5" on both the 16" and 17" wheels.

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201004_180057.jpg
    IMG_20201004_180057.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Nice!!! And thanks! That was very useful information!

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
I made a template for the hole with wood and made the cut slowly and using tons of cutting fluid and a 3.5 hole saw. It took a while get through the steel but it worked. Cleaned it up and powder coated the wheels in Wimbledon White. They are solid and don't wobble at all at high speeds.

Attachments

• 20200426_163321.jpg
    20200426_163321.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200919_130112.jpg
    20200919_130112.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: