• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does Anybody k.ow WH 23 gal tank

MonsterBIlly

I have a not very old 23 gal WH tank and the internal pump is going bad. I need to order a replacement pump before I drop the tank. I am hoping someone here knows which pump they used soni can get a replacement.

Thanks
B

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any factory style Mustang pump will work. Ford (and probably others) used the same style/design pump for a lot of vehicles, but it's hard to go wrong by just using "Mustang" as the source.
But get a high quality type such as a Walbro or Carter so you have a better chance of getting a quiet one. And not sure about Carter anymore!
A standard version is usually rated (I think) at about 170 liter per hour, and a high-po version would be the 255lph type. All with the same pressure ratings.
I believe they all put out about the same 80-120 psi range, which gets reduced to a 40-50psi working pressure by the regulator at the engine.

From what I've seen the different part numbers you find for different years only change the size of the sock filter and which parts come with the kit. Most of which are not used in a Bronco setup.
But it does not hurt to look at the filter design to see if it's of the type that will work for you. Most are a simple rectangular thingy about 4" long and 1.5" wide or so. There are variations, but I'm not sure that would hamper an installation into one of our tanks.

Hope that helps.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way, how do you know the pump is going bad? Making noise, not building pressure?
How old is the tank from a purchase standpoint (rather than a driving standpoint)? Is it a Sherman or an M1A1? Did it sit for awhile after first use?
We use Walbro pumps still I believe, and they have proven to be very reliable and relatively quiet compared to others we've tried.

If it just stopped pumping one day, you might check to make sure the filter or the feed tube inside the tank did not come loose.
Sorry you're having a hassle.

Paul

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

Thanks for the info Paul. The Sherman tank is only a year and a half old. I am assuming it is the tank because I am only getting 20lbs of fuel pressure. I am running a sniper and I have a external fuel pressure gauge. It is also showing 20 lbs.
The sniper is showing very lean conditions as well. I changed the regulatory in the Sniper because it is a k kwn problem. That did nothing. Its still showing the same low pressure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, 20psi is hardly enough to make it even run I thought! Doesn't the sniper use more like 55-65psi? I forget, but if so then that 20 is just a dribble out of the injectors.
A poorly working carburetor at that point.

Even at the higher pressures though, the same pumps are used. It's all up to the regulator at that point.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hate to have you go through extra work, but it might be worth lowering the tank and taking a look-see inside to make sure that something did not come loose/off, such as the sock filter or pickup tube.
Your tank is well past the batch that got a booger weld blocking part of the outlet tube inside the tank, but that's not to say it could not have happened again.
Of course, since it sounds like it was up and running fine previously, it's probably not one of the permanent fixtures, but more likely one of the attachments. Hence my thinking about the sock filter.

Although, buying a new pump anyway is not out of the question. Having an extra pump on hand is never a bad thing.

Paul

jhill52

Check the inline filter after the pump to see if it is clogged first. Pull the pump and check the inlet filter. Also the hose on the outlet end of the pump. Also check the tank for weld flash. Tiny beads of steel from welding on the tank'. It can pass thru an inline filter and ruin the pump.