• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone on here remember K Bar S Bronco Specialties

bosshoff

Contributor
I remember talking to someone back as early as 93. I bought front springs and a dual shock kits front and rear, headers, Schneider cam, and probabaly a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. I loved the catalogs, and was pissed when they got lost.:( I loved the F.A.Q. section of the catalog where they said things like 33 tires is about the max, all Broncos should have dual shocks front and rear-if they don't tip, they don't go over.;) I remember getting a free T-shirt with a green and yellow cartoon bronco on it. I was sent the wrong item, so after I sent it back, I got the correct item and a shirt. You come from good stock (Karp) Who was the 1980's brunette with the shovel and the daisy dukes pictured along with the red FSB with the convertible top? Hope she's not your sister. I say this sincerely, your dad's gotta know that he is one of the fathers off ALL of THIS.

Last edited:

getfuzzy

Holy crap!!! I have been reading all that has been writen a head of me and I feel like I have gone back in time. Or is it a trip back to the good old days.I to got my first parts at KbarS and still have them on my 69. I have headers and glass fenders and hood oh and front coils. My friend and I made a few trips to lost wages to get part from John and Ken. Man am I feeling old. I'm so glad to hear Johns doing ok. I got to go into the shop on one of the trips and that just made my day.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I remember going to your storefront in NLV right before you guys closed up shop.....

robofig

I just saw this thread. I bought my KbarS 4 core radiator in 1989. Had to retire it last year. Bought my smitty bar from KbarS about 1991. Still got it. Doing a frame off now. I still have a KbarS sticker on my glove box door from 1989. I think I will leave it and paint around it.;D

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I saved for three months to buy that first fiberglass hood from your father.
It was like Christmas opening up the box.
I have since destroyed the hood, but I still have the logo that I cut from the box, it occupies a place of honor in my new shop.....

Cheers to your father,
Jon

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I bought a few things from them stainless extended brake lines was my last purchase I believe. Went to the shop on Scripps way a few times drooled over the projects in the garage and went to the new location just off Craig once and drolled over the rolling frame in the showroom the next time I made it down they had closed. Always got treated right there. Still have a few old catalogs in a box somewhere.
Still the only bronco specfic shop I've ever been in tried to go to WH once but it was a saturday and they were closed.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Welcome KbarS. I still have one of the last calatogue's here too. Back in the day it was the best made catalogue for EB's.

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
I remember KBarS and your father John very well. I ordered alot of parts for my Bronco from them. Back then you only had a few options and when I called to place my first order I spent alot of time on the phone with your dad.
When he found out I was from Minnesota he told me he was originally from Michigan and we talked about life in the upper midwest. I went to visit the shop in Las Vegas in 1983. I really liked that Orange and White bronco from the first time I saw it in the first catalog I got from KBars. Your dad took me to back of the shop and had the crew start that bronco he said he couldnt' take me for a drive beacuse he had twisted the driveshaft on it the last time he had it out. But that motor in the Bronco sounded awesome! KBarS was very much a mom and pop Bronco shop. I left the shop that day with a handfull of stickers and t-shirts. I was bummed to find out that KBarS had closed up shop. I often thought about your dad and wondered what ever happened to him. So it's good to hear he is doing good and seeing the pictures of your dad and the Broncos brings back good memories.
Thanks for letting us know that your family is doing well and that the spirit of KBarS Broncos lives on!

Gerry

75dlydrvr

Loc.
Colorado
KbarS

Though I never met your family, they were an inspiration to me in the early eighties when I bought my '75...

I couldn't wait for the newest catalog, and I too still have the rear springs on my Bronco that I purchased way back when; and the sticker on my dash...

I can't imagine my life without my Bronco; it was truly a sad day when the company went of of business.

Please pass on to your father a huge Thank you for his work with the EB...

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I will have to dig out my catalogs, i have 2-3 old ones. I lusted after the Blue full cab on 33's and the roadsters in the catalogs.

I was out at Eric's shop here in Denver a year or two ago and spotted a painted fender and immediately recognized just the fender as the old Viking Pools Bronco. At that point he still had that truck, I know it was for sale and AFAIK it never sold but it was one of the trucks I would have died to have back in High School!
I ordered a few things from them back when they and Duffs were the two biggest vendors in the Bronco market.
Dennis

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
great stories, i too remember the ads in the back of 4 wheel and off road....always loved the look of their trucks

OP
OP
K

KbarS

Back in the early 80's my dad built alot of high horsepower engines in Vegas for Bronco owners and ford truck owners. The thing I remember most about that is he was always exited when that motor got installed and performed weather it was his or a customers. I will add just a little history, K BAR S was originally started in San Diego in 1969, it was in business for 2 years. My dad and his partner Hal would put aftermarket parts on new Broncos for sale at CA dealers. After two years and some problems and closed down. Then K BAR S reopened with John as the sole owner in 1980 after building the business back up in the family garage. John was a plasterer for his job until then, back before drywall. My mom and dad are both Canadian and this year will be their 60th wedding anniversery. ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Awesome, glad that you're sharing these great memories

70rdstr

Loc.
Elizabeth
KbarS

Welcome!
I still own the Viking Pools Bronco, that your Dad built for "Red".
I must have asked John a thousand questions about the truck before I bought it. The work on that truck, was to say, exceptional. Although I have changed many things on the old gal, she is still one of KbarS's Bronco's.

I had it up for sale, but with the economy, I think I will just hold on to the truck. I'm thinking the Cobra 5.0 is going to be replaced by a EFI 408W.

For what it's worth, I couldn't say a bad word, about KbarS, as every purchase, part, and conversation, I had, was great.

I am glad to hear John is doing well, and please tell him Hello, from Eric, in Colorado.

I too, have all the old catalogs, stickers, and a T-shirt, that hangs in the house, with a death threat to my wife, to never wear it, or wash it. (She doesn't really understand, though).

Again, Welcome!

Eric

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I think I had a Kayline soft top that came from KbarS, if I remember correctly. I also think I bought some rear flares from them to cut my 1973 28k mile uncut stocker. WTH was I thinking??? This would have been around 1989. Young and dumb(er).

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I bought a my Kayline soft doors and soft top from KbarS and used the article from one of the off road magazines that John was featured on "How to build a 351W" when I built my 351W almost 20 years ago.

Broncoloupy

Loc.
Parkton MD
KbarS was the first Bronco catalog i got. My first order was a new manual steering shaft for my 69 sport which is now my buggy. I remember getting it like it was yesterday. It was 1992, I believe, when I did that stuff. I still have a sticker on my toolbox. I can't believe I have been into Broncos this long.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I remember years ago looking thru the KbarS catalog dreaming of what to get for my Bronco, sadly the cash flow back then was not up to the ideas I had. I bet I could still find a few of the old catalogs if I looked hard enough.

Any chance that the son will revive KbarS following in dad's footsteps? Bet he would be happy to help with the start up. We could always use another vendor, especially one with the following KbarS had.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I bought some stuff from K Bar S. I still have the catalog too. That was the first Bronco only book I had.