• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone on here remember K Bar S Bronco Specialties

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
He told me stories about a Cleveland powered Bronco that the family ( possibly daughter ) ran in the sand dunes and sand drags. I was just starting out in mud and sand drags at the time. This was probably the late eighties, early nineties. He didn't seem to mind talking to me about how to get these things to hook up and make some horse power.

desertoasis2b

welcome K bar S, your dad John and my dad Bill Rowland were freinds back in the day, If I remember correctly my parents bought their first bronco in 1968
and met your dad down in borrego springs running with the vacarros bronco club out of San Diego. I was 5 years old and I remember your dad taking my dad out for several hours and teaching him how to drive off road. great to hear hes doing well, my dad is also and would love to talk to John about the good ol days

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Ah, one of my favorite places to buy things back in the 80s and early 90s. I can remember a number of long phone calls with John about 351W set ups and at one point I think I remember him saying he had a brother (maybe) that lived in Maine. I had always hoped to meet up with him some day but it just never happened. I still have a lot of parts from him and the catalogs and stickers too. I always liked looking through the KbarS catalog at the nice Broncos. Tell you Dad I said hello and I'm sure he will not remember me but how many people did he talk to from Maine? So what about you…what’s your story? Are you interested in old Broncos?

Welcome aboard,
Ken

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
First bronco vendor I ever dealt with
Hell all the past bronco owners in my family have ordered from them
send me the pics I'll host them

OP
OP
K

KbarS

Ah, one of my favorite places to buy things back in the 80s and early 90s. I can remember a number of long phone calls with John about 351W set ups and at one point I think I remember him saying he had a brother (maybe) that lived in Maine. I had always hoped to meet up with him some day but it just never happened. I still have a lot of parts from him and the catalogs and stickers too. I always liked looking through the KbarS catalog at the nice Broncos. Tell you Dad I said hello and I'm sure he will not remember me but how many people did he talk to from Maine? So what about you…what’s your story? Are you interested in old Broncos?

Welcome aboard,
Ken

My name is Dan Karp, and I went to the dark side.....;D I mean sandrails and ATV's, I own a LT rail and a couple UTV's and still love offroading. My dad has not been offroading for a few years but still goes camping with my brother and I once in a while. I am a Glamis dunes junkie but not one of those thats wheelies, I actually go for the duning. I take the RZR's to Ocotillo Wells CA for some trails and just quit a long background in dirtbiking about 2-3years ago. Because of my dad I have a vast knowledge of what makes offroad vehicles work and that is priceless. Thanks for all the great comments
I will show him this site next time he is over, I know that he will like it.

OP
OP
K

KbarS

So why did KbarS go out of business?

That's a good question..... I believe that my dads love of the bronco and his passion for it, kept the company going. When my sister and her husband Ken took over the business it just didn't seem to last. I won't say it was anyones fault but if you love something you just seem to put more into it than if it is just a job. I also believe that your customers will sense that as well.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Sandrails...I know nothing about them living over here on the other side of the county. They do look like a lot of fun! If you have pictures of the rails or from your Dad & his Broncos please e-mail them. I'm sure anyone that is a contributor would be happy to post them.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Ask John if he remembers Pete "The Indian" and his muffler shop. I think we cobbled the first set of headers for his cleveland powered EB.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Wow this dates me
I remember when I was in my late teens/mid 20's when I had a 69 Bronco. I met a guy one day who gave me a K bar S catalauge, and the next day I odered a set of spings/shocks from them. I bought a few other things in those 5 or 6 years I owned my Bronco.

I am sure I taled to your dad a few times.

Tell him Don from Mass said hi

OP
OP
K

KbarS

Ask John if he remembers Pete "The Indian" and his muffler shop. I think we cobbled the first set of headers for his cleveland powered EB.

I just talked to my dad and yes he remembers you, he said that you were at the performance shop off oakie and western, and built him his first set of headers for a 351 clevland in a EB. He said it was a great job and that he thought you were more of a hotrod guy then a Bronco guy.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I think you have more friends on here than you realize. One that definately comes to mind is Gud Racing on this site.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
OK here are some pictures sent to me to post for everyone and the e-mail that came with them...

Here are a couple of pics. The orange and white one my dad built in the driveway at home when I was about 8 years old so 33 years ago. These three are owned by K BAR S original partner in 69' Selund which is the S in K BAR S "Karp BAR Selund" I am getting a bunch more pics from mom, I will send some soon. These are in Yuma in his personal collection. Also a pic of John Karp on our visit to this shop. Thanks

Attachments

• rsz_1kbars_023[1].jpg
    rsz_1kbars_023[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 450
  • rsz_1kbars_2_024[1].jpg
    rsz_1kbars_2_024[1].jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 418
  • rsz_kbars_3_041[1][1].jpg
    rsz_kbars_3_041[1][1].jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 403
  • rsz_kbars_4_025[1].jpg
    rsz_kbars_4_025[1].jpg
    73 KB · Views: 421

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello from NC

Hello Dan,
My name is Karl Bradley and I purchased alot of stuff from your Dad and crew in the mid 90s as well-including a topload OD tranny kit that I think your Dad did the rebuild on the tranny. I was fortunate enough to fly out and join your Dad for a "Ghost Town Tour" in summer of 96 or 7(when the shop was still at Scripps Way- sp?) Your Dad was a very gracious host. I will alway cherish sitting on the back porch of his home listening to his stories of the good ole days. That was my first trip out west so I was quiet taken by the whole deal. We went up to Parump and met up with some guys who drove over from Ca. A great trip. We rode in big Red. Please give my best to your Dad and family.
:)

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
When I bought my 69 Sport in 1986, I found K bar S and over the years I ordered everything Bronco related from them. They were my first and only vendor untill I tried to order something and found they were no longer in business. I still have the soft doors that I ordered from them, new in the K bar S boxes as I never used them, but will on the 74 I am building. It's good to hear all of this history and glad to hear John is doing well. I did get to meet him on one of my trips to Vegas when I went to the store on Scripps way to pick some parts. He was very helpfull and seemed interested in my project and made a few suggestions that I found to be good advice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A few years back I worked with a guy (Dave?) that bought the ballon chase bronco from K-bar-S and drove it to Chicago. He had some interesting stories.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Get him a subscription to Bronco Driver, and maybe a trip to one of the events with 100 or so rigs in attendence.........Congrats on having a respected and well thought of dad.......

Toddpole

Contributor
Holy cow! What memories. I still have a 72 with a 3 1/2" KbarS lift. It'll corner at 90mph but it won't flex over a city curb! I, too, had the pleasure of stopping by their store in Vegas. They were very good people. A pleasure to deal with and talk to.

OP
OP
K

KbarS

Thanks again everyone for the kind words, my mom and dad were at my house earlier and my dad had a chance to read all your kind words. I think it was nice for him to see because he did love the business and his customers. He told me that he would dig up some old photos for me to scan and post, look for them in the next week or so. I can't wait to hear the discussion that they start and the memories they bring back for some. I will be sure to let my dad read all the comments again. Thanks for making an old Bronco guys day....You guys are the best.....;D