• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone on here remember K Bar S Bronco Specialties

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii
the fiberglass hood scoop on my bronco is K bar S

bought it from a local bronco club member, he had bought it brand new, and never used it, so it sat in the box on a shelf for years. i just got it a few months ago, and it still had the welting and rivets in the box.

wish i coulda been more apart of this history.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128761&d=1238555215 I know they guy that bought that one and drove it to Chicago. Haven't heard from him in years.

And my roommate bought it from the guy who bought it from the guy who drove it out to Chicago. It's alive and well in the SF bay area, CA. The Balloon Chaser still has a lot of KbarS parts on it still. Grill guard, seats, interior panels. But is now EFI and 3.5" lift.

John Karp was totally cool to me on my first visit to KbarS. Talked Stroppe with me for 2-3 hours the day after Christmas in '95. Photocopied his Baja Bronco catalog and brochure for me and sold me a shirt! A great way for me to start my Bronco career!
-Andrew

66Bronco

Old pictures

Show these pictures to your Dad.

scan0006_ps-vi.jpg

scan0023_ps-vi.jpg

-Terry

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
I had their front coils and shocks on mine until about 4 or 5 months ago when I bought some shinny new Cage products.;D Still have a catalog from the 90's too.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I never made a purchase, but I knew of K Bar S when I bought my 1st Bronco, a 79 back in 1985. The PO included an old catalog with the sale. I never had the money to make a purchase, too busy saving for a house... The 79 found a new owner when we bought our 1st home, with my new hour long commute to work. It was hard ($) keeping that 32 gallon tank full...

I always liked the EB, but never thought I would own one. That all changed when I bought my 75... I still had the catalog that came with my 79, but it was too late... Glad to hear so many positive stories here about your Dad and his business. Hope that you can get him on line...

Doug

KbarS1

Hello Bronco Owners!
My name is Patti and I'm "Danny"'s sister, Ken and myself ran KbarS after my dad retired. As Danny said "a lack of passion" was one of the reasons it closed, that couldn't be further from the truth. Our lives were "KbarS" period. Danny has a complete lack of knowledge as he was not involved within the company on a "working" basis, and had no interest to be part of it. I'll leave it at that.
Reading all these beautiful memories of my dad and KbarS has crushed me again, its taken 9 years to try and work past such an amazingly blessed life that KbarS provided me. I can't describe without totally breaking down how hard the decision was to close "the shop".
The changing atmosphere in the automotive industry during the time we closed was a major reason behind closing, this included industry giants like 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers crushing the independant retailers. If you were not financially strong enough to fight you got crushed, plain and simple...we were crushed.
Our passion for the Bronco still lives on and Ken is working on several projects for Hal Sealund currently, one of which is an original Stroppe race Early Bronco. The passion has never left and never will, the self employment issue though....
Thank you again for your kind words and memories, the passion for the early bronco is part of who I am. My memories of racing and building engines with my dad are precious.

glass76

Thanks for another story from the KBARS folks. Glad you guys are still working with Broncos. I remember when you and Duffs were about all there was out there. We would like to see some pics of your latest builds, really liked your early ones in the catalogs.

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Patti! Great to see you finally made it on to the site! We sure miss you guys here at Unique Label. Its been too long.
Ed

DSCN0495.jpg

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Can still vividly remember in the late 80s my first visit to KbarS. Felt like a kid in a candy store and all the parts rigs outback were like a pirate's treasure chest. Great to hear your family is still building broncos, there's just no getting them out of your blood once infected.

66Bronco- great pics, what's the story behind the yellow race bronco hidden behind the lineup?

berdeman

A few months back I stopped in to the new ORW in temecula CA. There was a yellow roadster outside. I asked about it and the manager siad it was his. He siad it was built by K bar S and he had perchased it from a former K bar S family member who had it in storage for a number of years. I looked like a time machine. Some kind of four speed, built 351, old school type suspension. A few weeks later I saw it on Craigs list, I went back to ORW to speek to the manager about perchasing it but he said it was sold back to someone or a friend of someone in the K bar S family. I was dissapointed it was gone but glad that a peice of Bronco history would not be lost to someone else that would understand the history.

Anyone know of this bronco? I was wondering if that manager was blowing smoke.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyone know of this bronco? I was wondering if that manager was blowing smoke.

No, he wasn't blowing smoke. When I read your post the first time, I contacted a buddy of mine who manages the Escondido ORW store and he confirmed it. He had heard of the truck but didn't get to see it. By the description, it sounds like the yellow truck seen in the later catalogs and in a magazine article or two back in the day.

Todd Z.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I've aways liked the looks of the K Bar S Broncos. It is nice to know they are still around and being used and taken care of. Post more pics if you have them...