• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

does gas treatment really help?

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
the last 2 months ive been buying those $1.99 bottles of various brands gas treatment that suppose to clean your fuel system and your carb or something like that. personally, i cant really tell any difference. anyone know if they really help your engine, or i am wasting money?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm sure they help a little they may remove some of the buildup but probably not all of it, but I wouldnt use the stuff much more than once every 6 months. Also gas nowadays usually contains the same cleaners your paying for in that small bottle.

6bangn69

anyone know what octane booster is?
I was told that it was isopropyl alchahol in a shiny bottle. you can buy isopropyl alchahol it at the grocery store for 10cents a bottle rather than 3 dollars

Brewbro21

The one I can speak for from experience is the treatments made by BG. It can be hard to find only Napa sells that stuff in this area but it does work, however it is expensive. I believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to stuff like oil and gas treatments.

My girlfriend's lumina had a clogged injector and BG fuel injector treatment saved us from having to take it to a shop to blow it out. My diagnostics (computer) said the problem was fixed.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yes, especially with fuel injection when you use cheap gas. Name Brand fuel usually already has the detergents so it wouldn't make a big difference there.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I know that for my Posche the PCA club recommended the Chevron Tech cleaner. That in itself was enough for me. Great stuff. Chevron is all I use in my vehicles including my 77 Bronco, 82 Mercedes, 85 CJ-7 and 03 thunderbird.

Never have fuel issues and I don't want them either :-X .

70 sport WA

Contributor
I put a bottle of octane booster (maybe half) in one of my tanks and all it did was make the engine run badly. Once the tank was clear, ran fine--go figure.

Also, I usually don't buy product marketing or hype (at least try not to) but I swear the few times I put anything other than Chevron gas in my truck it ran poorly (hesitated, idled rough). Don't know why and don't care, I just keep using what works for me ;D

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
This link gives a summary of the EPA's testing of fuel additives. Part way down, they list the additives they tested, so you can see if yours are in there.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/cars/gas-save/t_gas.htm#devices

I read another report, I think by the FTC. I couldn't find it, so I shouldn't mention it, but it was similar to the EPA reports mentioned and they also covered oil additives.

The summary I got from them was:

Modern fuels and oils have all the cleaners and enhancers a well tuned engine needs. A worn engine can benefit from occasional cleaner additives, but because they can corrode gaskets, seals and passages, they should be used infrequently.

They found no mileage or power benefit to almost all additives they tested, and many increased vehicle emissions. The few that added mileage or power cost more than they saved.

Not surprisingly, many of the oil additives tested actually caused engine damage!

It didn't seem worth the trouble to me, so I go without.

Mad Dog

Most of that stuff is just marketing hype. I'm a big believer in just doing the basics of changing my oil every 3,000 miles, making sure my coolant is topped off, that my tire pressure is good, and that my engine is always well tuned and maintained. That's it and it has always run fine regardless of where I gas up.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Ive had really good luck with a marine grade fuel injection cleaner called Sea Foam. Costs a little moe at $4.99 a bottle but works good. It never said what the EPA found just that it tested them, what good is that?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
6bangn69 said:
anyone know what octane booster is?
I was told that it was isopropyl alchahol in a shiny bottle. you can buy isopropyl alchahol it at the grocery store for 10cents a bottle rather than 3 dollars

The alcohol based additives (like Heet) are for problems caused by water in your gas, but not for cleaning other contaminates or deposits.. And yes, you can use the isopropyl alcohol from a grocery.

Kidney

mtkawboy said:
Ive had really good luck with a marine grade fuel injection cleaner called Sea Foam. Costs a little moe at $4.99 a bottle but works good. It never said what the EPA found just that it tested them, what good is that?

I second this....I have used sea foam on all the cars in my family and so have my friends. It helped my dads truck with the slight stumble it had and his truck also starts up much better in the morning. The first time you use it it will scare you. You just poor it into your carb or throttle body until the engine dies then let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then start your car back up and it blows alot of smoke out of the tail pipe. After that the car you put it in runs great.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
mtkawboy said:

I used a trans conditioner in my C-4 in my bronco by Sea Foam and I have to say......whoa......night and day difference. No more skipped shifts, doesn't try to start out in 2nd sometimes etc etc etc. I have never seen my C-4 run so well. I am going to try their fuel system product.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I think that you would be hard pressed to feel much or any difference with a carb engine (unless it was really gummed up because it sat for several seasons). But I put a bottle of cleaner in my Supercharged X-Terra at 70K and I did feel an improvement. Improvement..... Not a big change....