• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does the Bronco register as a truck?

JohnnyB77

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
I am pretty sure it is not going to matter when you re-register the 67 plates if they were car or truck. My Texas titles say LL under the body style My colorado titles say UP And my 66 an 05 truck titles both say PK.
I think the DMV is going to be more concerned with the condition of the plates than if they were car or truck . I think its a truck, Truck plates would be cooler
in my opinion.
I register all of my Broncos as a Classic/Antiques vehicle. Its the cheapest easiest way to do it. No inspection sticker and alls you need is insurance. It's like $45 for 5 or 8 years.
When you use age specific plates you still have to get a TX inspection and might have to pay a registration every year??
I would find you some cool 67 plates for events and run an antique tag depending on how much you drive it and where you live.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
When I got my '66 25+ years ago, it was registered as a station wagon in WA, about 15 years ago, I was questioned about that and when I explained, it was then classified as "Utility". Still has pass plates tho, and no tonnage required. :cool:

markperry

Bronco Guru
Whatever is cheaper:)

I register mine as a car so I can run the exhaust in front of the back tires.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In MD, there is an "MPV" classification that SUVs and EBs fall in to. That said..more than one EB 'wagon' has ended up being assigned car tags in this state. But you don't get to 'pick'..its up to the experience or even whim of the MVA person taking care of your paperwork, near as I could ever tell.%)

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I registered my 66 in Uvalde county Texas last friday. It would only go into the computer as a passenger car.
It's listed as "PASS" on the vehicle type.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
registering a 25 yr old vehicle in Texas can be done as a regular everyday vehicle like you do with any other vehicle or you can register it as an Antique or a Classic which are not the same. post #23 above describes an Antique registration which is not a Classic registration. Antique is good for 5 yrs, no inspection sticker needed etc. but it has driving and usage restrictions. I think Classic requires most of the same fees and requirements of any other regular vehicle registration without any restrictions. and you can use your old plates if they are in good condition. check out this link.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_plates/qualifying/antique.htm

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
In CA mine has passenger plates, which are much cheaper than our commercial plates. My full size Bronco also has passenger plates.

Not that that has any bearing in Texas, but this thread seems to contain a pretty good list of registration types in many different states.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
In CA mine has passenger plates, which are much cheaper than our commercial plates. My full size Bronco also has passenger plates.

Not that that has any bearing in Texas, but this thread seems to contain a pretty good list of registration types in many different states.

California has an odd yet definitive line between what's registered as a car and what's considered a truck.

Every Bronco I know of, especially if they have original plates, is registered with typical car plates. But in an early magazine road test of a half-cab, it's shown with California black-and-yellow commercial plates. The DMV probably considered half-cabs to be pickups.

The same goes for El Caminos and Rancheros. I suppose there could have been exceptions, but they all got commercial plates when new.

Ford E-Series van with seats and windows: car plates. Ford E-Series van with no windows: commercial plates. (Of course, shuttle vans for hire would be the exception in that example.)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
When I got my antique tag, Mississippi, I had a rough time getting a tag that said truck rather than car. I don't think I would have convinced them to give me a truck tag if the hardtop had been on it. The 75 I bought had an antique tag on it when I bought it that says car.

May be up to the Court house in your County?,but this one I got in '02

Attachments

• wow4.jpg
    wow4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 14

WSM29

Mine says "CARRYALL" I guess thats on the same lines as station wagon??

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They gave me a truck plate. I can't remember what the title stated.

Eugene

OP
OP
VeryTALONted

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
VeryTalonted,
If you want the YOM texas plates, you have to get the ones that DO NOT say truck. the only way to get the Texas Truck plates is having Tx Dot change the title to say truck, and that is my of a pain than it is worth. I am going to do the same for my '69 and the plates I got only say Texas. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll just grab the 'car' ones, they seem to be easier to find.

jw0747 said:
registering a 25 yr old vehicle in Texas can be done as a regular everyday vehicle like you do with any other vehicle or you can register it as an Antique or a Classic which are not the same. post #23 above describes an Antique registration which is not a Classic registration. Antique is good for 5 yrs, no inspection sticker needed etc. but it has driving and usage restrictions. I think Classic requires most of the same fees and requirements of any other regular vehicle registration without any restrictions. and you can use your old plates if they are in good condition. check out this link.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ng/antique.htm

Yeah, I currently have it registered as a "antique" but don't like the little buggy on the plate (nit-picking, i know)

So I am wanting to run YOM plates and keep it still registered as an antique (no inspection, registration sticker on back plate, and no front plate:cool:)

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
So I am wanting to run YOM plates and keep it still registered as an antique (no inspection, registration sticker on back plate, and no front plate:cool:)

I would recommend checking with the nearest DMV office or your county's tax accessor/collector office where you buy plates on your question to be sure.

don't think you can register as Antique and use your YOM plates unless they allow you to display it on front. we have several in LEBC registered as Antiques and all are displaying their current Antique plates on rear and nothing on front.

I do know that you can display YOM plates with Classic registration provided the plates are in good shape and can be read easily.

LeSpade

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I am dealing with the same thing here in Houston. I bought some Texas 71 Truck plates off of ebay and took them to the tax office today. I stood in line for an hour. When I finally got to the window, the lady had no problems with the "truck" on the plates but thought that the plates were faded yellow too much and insisted that they be white. I have to paint them white with black letters and then go stand in the line for another hour. My title just says 71 Ford but I think they can look at the tonnage and gross wt and figure out that it should be listed as a truck. Good luck. This was in Harris county at the Cypresswood location.

broncobilly72

In California it costs more $$$ to register as a truck rather than a car......trucks require commercial plates.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
California has an odd yet definitive line between what's registered as a car and what's considered a truck.

Every Bronco I know of, especially if they have original plates, is registered with typical car plates. But in an early magazine road test of a half-cab, it's shown with California black-and-yellow commercial plates. The DMV probably considered half-cabs to be pickups.

The same goes for El Caminos and Rancheros. I suppose there could have been exceptions, but they all got commercial plates when new.

Ford E-Series van with seats and windows: car plates. Ford E-Series van with no windows: commercial plates. (Of course, shuttle vans for hire would be the exception in that example.)

That makes sense. When I first registered my out of state 73 Bronco here in CA the inspector was unsure which it should be, since the bed was open. I explained that it was a wagon model that was missing a lot of parts, & originally the bed came with a roof over it. He called the supervisor over, who immediately said it was a passenger vehicle, without having to hear any explanation from me. He made my day.

My dad had a 37 Chevy pickup that he was able to convert to passenger vehicle tags. It was a toy for him & he never used for hauling. He had to take it to have it weighed, & it had to be under a certain weight. As he understood it, if he was caught using it for commercial purposes, it would be an expensive fine.

I had an old 70 E350 Club Wagon window van that fit the norm with its passenger plates. It seemed odd at the time, since it was heavy duty underneath, but the wagon designation was definitely a money saver.