• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doing engine swap...any suggestions?

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Just bought a wrecked '85 F150, with a 302. I am going to swap engines from this one to Bronco. I have already thought of using my pan and pickup tube, also changing flywheel since C6 behind '85, and C4 in Bronc. Also the water pump and new engine mounts. The engine is carbuerated with Edelbrock alum. intake and 4 barrel. Is there anything else I am overlooking or bugs that might occur that anyone can think of? TRying to think of everything in advance as to eliminate down time. Suggestions? Also the engine in Bronco is running now if someone local is looking for engine to build up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Engien balance. the '85 is the newer 50 oz-in and the original bronco is 28oz-in.

You will need a new(er) balance flexplate and balancer or have the old 28 rebalanced to 50.

Timing marks also differ so keep the timing chain cover matched to the balancer

Water pump also changes pickup sides and maybe rotation, not sure if they changed to serpentine by '85 or not.

Best to just keep the timing chain forward a matched set from one engine or another.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
put your 74 water pump on as it will match up with your radiator just check pulley alginment. Although after word you may not be able to see the timing marks on the 85 engine, not sure if you can swap all the 74 assesories on to the 85 engine there may be pulley alginment problems. Either oil pan should work also as mentioned unless your 74 already has a duraspark setup you will need to wire the 85 duraspark setup in easy to do just check out the links section there are a couple of writeups on how to do it

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
My '74 already has the ignition box, affectionately known as the brain! It should be a direct swap ignition wise. What about p/s pump? Use the old one?