• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dome light upgrade - yours?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Oh BS. Bugs in your teeth is being alive. We own Broncos because they're fun. The fold down windshield had nothing to do with shooting. At low speeds the windshield serves no purpose. The M38 was a blast to drive off road. On road to, and the Willis could only go 65 all out. Too bad Az law requires a windshield on commissioned roads.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Anyone have a wiring schematic on how to wire a three way switch in our broncos so that you can either turn off the dome light all together, have it actuate with a plunger in the doors, or turn it on. Also need to know which type of plungers to use. The ones that ground out the circuit or power it.
The headlight switch is the "ON" for the dome/courtesy lights, and it's a +12V switch, so that's how Ford wired the pin switches (which are self-adjusting) on later trucks.

(phone app link)

Those switches fit easily in eBs - this one is in the ambient temp sensor location:

(phone app link)

For an "OFF", it depends exactly how you want it to work... I only wanted to disable the driver's door switch, so I simply added a 2-pin (SPST) switch under the dash into that one wire (54 LG/Y between S251 & C263). When the driver's door is open with that switch off, the switch's backlight comes on so that, if I need to find it to turn the courtesy lights back on, it's obvious. But it doesn't make enough light to be distracting. If I have a passenger, then I don't really need the courtesy lights to stay off, so that pin is always enabled. That mod is shown just Left of center in this diagram:

(phone app link)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I found some 12V LED accent lights on simple metal flanges at superbrightleds.com around 10-12 years ago. Two screwed to the roll cage, fished wires up to them through the tube. Controlled by a simple toggle switch in the dash to the right of the steering column. I checked the website the other day; they are NLA but there are lots of other similar options, probably all brighter, for a few bucks apiece.

Attachments

• rollbar LED lights.jpg
    rollbar LED lights.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 41

jckkys

Bronco Guru
That's what I was thinking. Buy wiring it through the role bar, the top can be removed and the lights still work. The open door switch takes control from the driver. Loss of driver control is one of the things I hate about new cars. The moronic chimes however, top that list. My sister in law thinks she's driving perfectly if the proximity alert isn't flashing. She doesn't even look around her car with windows or mirrors. My wife won't ride with her; too scary.