• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

donor explorer engine removal hell

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
My bronco is hardly ready for the efi/5.0 swap, but at $350 I couldn't pass this up. Decided to pull the engine and trans together, land them on a pallet, and stash till the time is right. I'm not a stranger to modern vehicles, tight engine bays, etc. I've done some unorthodox engine and trans swaps, and can generally make stuff fit where it isn't supposed to. My arms are skinny, and I've got 40+ years of doing this sort of thing, so, no big deal right?
I'll say that pulling this was the single worst job I've had to do for a good long time. And thats with me hacking the thing apart. Every conceivable socket and wrench out, with extensions on extensions, and swivels on that.
Engine mount bolts to the block are not accessible on the driver side or passenger side. At least three of the four aren't. The bottom frame mount bolts are blocked by the axle hanger brackets. The top bolts are accessible, sort of. You have to remove the passenger side mount for the starter to clear, or pull the starter. The exhaust won't fit past the drivers side mount, and you can't reach bolts to get the pipe off the manifold with anything. I used a half dozen grinder wheels and some sawzall blades. The trans wont drop enough for the fan to clear the radiator support, unless you jack the explorer up. I had had enough and just sawzalled the front off.
Good grief man. Thankfully I had carefully removed the harness and ECU while I still had some patience.
I'm half belly-aching, and half warning anyone else what to expect.
Just a bear of a job

Attachments

• IMG_6112-1.jpg
    IMG_6112-1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_6114.jpg
    IMG_6114.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 294

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
That why we love our broncos. You can still get to most of the bolts. I pay a mechanic to deal with the newer cars.

rusty2078

Loc.
Sherwood Park, AB
Yup, I didn't pull the trans out when I pulled my 5.0, but I cut away a lot of metal in order to make the job a bit easier, same on the inside...kind if nice to not have to worry about the donor vehicle

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I have one staring at me in my garage too just waiting to give me hell!.

OP
OP
U

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
I have one staring at me in my garage too just waiting to give me hell!.

However many cut off wheels and sawzall blades you think, and double that. Probably easier to pull the engine out and drop the trans from underneath, but I didn't even want to take the pig off of my trailer. So, out the top it came. I undid the six bolts that hold the t-case on and left that.
SD

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
You ain’t kidding, man! My kid’s ‘99 Mountaineer recently blew out a rusty spark plug out of the block and I said it’s time for him to stop sinking anymore $ in the car. I’d just pull the motor, trans, and harness and get that broken plug out later. Truck had 185,000 but ran great and didn’t burn or leak a drop of oil.
Not one easily accessible bolt anywhere on that motor and trans! It is in there tight! After many hours of cursing and scrapped knuckles, I said screw it and just pulled the harness, computer, front serp dress, and upper and lower intakes. Called the junk yard and had them haul the rest of that heep away.
If I ever find another good donor, i’m cutting the whole body off first. Lol.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
We pulled our Explorer 5.0 at the Pick-n-Pull. Fought us all day long and always seemed to be one more part attached we missed. Forgot to bring the tools to remove the fan or it would have been much easier. We didn't take the tranny.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I quit the subtle tactics getting the W out of the 96 E350 van....just started sawzalling everything.....was still an B to get out.....

Tim

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
We pulled our Explorer 5.0 at the Pick-n-Pull. Fought us all day long and always seemed to be one more part attached we missed. Forgot to bring the tools to remove the fan or it would have been much easier. We didn't take the tranny.

I can't imagine doing it at the U-Pull it. It was a real PITA, and I was at home. Good thing it was a roll over, so saving the body work didn't matter. I cut a lot sheet metal away to make it a little easier. But those engine mount bolt were a bear. Ended up cutting them away. See pics in this link.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239642&page=4

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force

Okie69

Contributor
Well this is encouraging. I’m about to start the process this weekend.

Let the games begin!

(Oops forgot I was looking through old threads before I replied)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I helped with one a while back for a guy that does construction. I told him to call his concrete guy and barrow a quickey saw and pick up some metal blades for it. We pulled the harness and it took about 10 minutes to cut it back to the B pillars and have it in the wide open.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I was going to pull mine just to sell it. I'm leaving it in now! Anyone need a 98 in Phoenix! :)

TTownEP

Man, I didn't think it was bad, but I haven't pulled an engine before this, except holding the flashlight for my dad as a little squirt.

I was scrapping the rest, but the only thing I really cut was the rad support. I had my battery impact and just whizzed every bolt I could see. I took the fenders and hood off. The only issue was not draining the trans and spilling an ocean of fluid onto my driveway.

Okie69

Contributor
Man, I didn't think it was bad, but I haven't pulled an engine before this, except holding the flashlight for my dad as a little squirt.

I was scrapping the rest, but the only thing I really cut was the rad support. I had my battery impact and just whizzed every bolt I could see. I took the fenders and hood off. The only issue was not draining the trans and spilling an ocean of fluid onto my driveway.

Ohhhhh draining the trans. Yeah I should do that.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I just pulled a 98 apart yesterday. I carefully removed the complete harness and ecm, I took the sawzall and cut the front clip off completely. Easy Peasy. Drove it in at 10:00 AM and was completey stripped of the drivetrain by 4:00 PM. Pulled engine and trans as one unit. :cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I just pulled a 98 apart yesterday. I carefully removed the complete harness and ecm, I took the sawzall and cut the front clip off completely. Easy Peasy. Drove it in at 10:00 AM and was completey stripped of the drivetrain by 4:00 PM. Pulled engine and trans as one unit. :cool:

Nice work.. :)