• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Gap Craziness

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
So I know that gaps are a huge pain to get close and were never that great from the factory. I've spent many hours and several methods over years to get the gaps right on my drivers side door.

About ten years ago I bought some stainless lift off hinges and while I was able to get the passenger door to line up great, the drivers always was off. It would open and close OK but the gaps were really bad. I checked all the measurements of the door openings and they were all good. Replaced and shimmed body mounts and that didn't fix the issues. So I just figured that it may have been one of the Broncos that the hinges were "fixed" coming off the line with the BFH. Or maybe an accident tweaked things pre 1988 when I got it and not so great body work.

Don't know what made me think about the door itself not being square.........after some quick measuring, turns out that it's not and that's where my problem lies. The door actually tapers of about a third of the way up about 5/16".

So I guess I'm sharing this because I spent a ton of time screwing around with this and been reading about a lot of door gap frustrations over the last 21+ years on this site. May not be your issue but if it helps one person it's definitely worth the time for me to type it up.

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
My gap between the fender and front of the doors were great. The gap between the door and quarter were very wide I welded some round rod to the back edge of the door, and now it is almost perfect. Getting the gaps close is very frustrating for sure. It is still challenging to get everything lined up after taking the doors off.