• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dovetail worth it with fullsize axles

OX1

Bronco Guru
Hoping to finish my 70 street rig by spring, then comes the 77 trail rig. Currently run a 79 dovetailed with fullsize axles (obviously). I have it narrowed a hair less than the stock rear width of an EB. Being that the 79 is still longer than/same width as an EB and I rarely hit anything back there, is a dovetailed EB on fullwidth axles even worth it?? Would rather keep what little bed/sotarage area I'll have, being spoiled with the 79 (which has more room than an EB, even after dovetailing......................)

MattyB4x4

I was kinda in the same delimma as you...then I just decided to backhalf it. Not sure if that solved any of my problems, but I have a set plan now haha.

I say, if you hardly ever it with a fullsize, then it really shouldn't be a problem with the EB. I always loved the look of a dovetail though...

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I am running running widths and planning to dovetail to the frame front and rear. In all honestly you prolly don't need to do it. I am doing it just for looks and the fun of it!

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
You'll find a way to hit it OX! LOL
I would think you would have more trouble hitting before the rear tire....That is where you hit now isn't it? Course for that rig it's just a pivot point....LOL
If it were me Jim, I would try to keep the rear, like you already said, real estate is at a premium there and I know You like to haul tools and spares. Good luck with this thing, how is the streeter comin?
Chris

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
ChrisinWV said:
You'll find a way to hit it OX! LOL
I would think you would have more trouble hitting before the rear tire....That is where you hit now isn't it? Course for that rig it's just a pivot point....LOL
If it were me Jim, I would try to keep the rear, like you already said, real estate is at a premium there and I know You like to haul tools and spares. Good luck with this thing, how is the streeter comin?
Chris

I hit all over now, but I don't try not too ;D. I guess my biggest concern was up travel. Plenty of wheel well, even on a fullsize that was narrowed. Wasn't sure about clearance with 42's and full size axles on an EB. Was thinking the center of tire might be trying to hit the wheelwell, instead of stuffing up insidel. Vs narrowing the rear and then the tire probably won't be anywhere near the body no matter what you do.

I do hate the external packaging "jeep" look, with 30 odd doo-dads stacked 2 or 3 high hanging off all over the place to carry your gear. Been spoiled I guess since I can fit a 38 spare, 2 large alum side boxes, winch, 8 gallon air tank, and 10 gallon propane tank all on the floor with nothing in the way to see behind me.

Street rig progress has slowed as it always does when it's cold (getting too old for that crap, even with the kero bullet). ;D

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
I think I would cut whatever the tire hit out of the way and reinforce the rest.
That is my plan at least, but I am not running full widths..
I think Trav is on FW axles and he stuffs those 37's pretty good as I recall.
Maybe some others with the FW's will speak up.
old.....hmmmmph

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
ChrisinWV said:
I think I would cut whatever the tire hit out of the way and reinforce the rest.
That is my plan at least, but I am not running full widths..
I think Trav is on FW axles and he stuffs those 37's pretty good as I recall.
Maybe some others with the FW's will speak up.
old.....hmmmmph

Plan is the same 42's IROKS I have now and at least the same 104 inch wheelbase, so it might not even be an issue with the tires stuffed out near the corners.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Dovetailed?!?

If y'all are refering to narrowing the body aft of the axle, the word is "Boattailed." At least it has been for the last 70 years or so. If anything, "dovetailed" would mean making it wider.

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
i doevtailed mine (or boattailed) with full size axles and LOVE it! however i went one step further and cut the rear wheel wells out since i lengthened the rear driveline by about 1.5 feet. i cut some 1/8" sheet metal and welded in and i believe i have almost gained back that floor space! something to think about!

-cutts-

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Fishmanndotcom said:
i doevtailed mine (or boattailed) with full size axles and LOVE it! however i went one step further and cut the rear wheel wells out since i lengthened the rear driveline by about 1.5 feet. i cut some 1/8" sheet metal and welded in and i believe i have almost gained back that floor space! something to think about!

-cutts-
\

Yeah, I was thinking about that this weekend. But not so I can "narrow" the rear, just for more space so I can run some kind of spare and 2 propane tanks close to the floor.

clayne

Mine has 106" wheelbase and this is all I've done for now.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Fishmanndotcom said:

-cutts-

The back of my boat ain't too narrow (especially compared to the front). :p I thought boat-tailed was when you shortened up the rear, making it "flat" (vertically kinda) like a transom??

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Skuzzlebutt said:
381543234_3d4dfaf55d_o_d.jpg

The term is way older than your boat.

Buick Boattail

So then what is dovetail, is that when you make the rear floor and/or rear frame section angle upward?? Or is boat and dove the same thing in this case.............?:?