• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drill and tap trans pan- Question:

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Alright gang, this may be a dumb question but it’s new territory for me:

I need to drill and tap my aluminum transmission pan for the 1/8” NPT temperature sender for my Autometer transmission temperature gauge.

Do I need to use a drill bit that is smaller than 1/8”

I tried to do a search and couldn’t seem to find any definitive answers.

Thanks!

Brandon

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The easy size to find and remember is a 5/16 drill bit will do the trick for 1/8" NPT. I know someone will get out a machinist guide book and call out an "R" or 21/64th bit but 5/16 is readily available and works just fine.

When running the tap in use plenty of lubricant, WD40 or similar is sufficient. Pipe threads are tapered (like a wedge or "v")so run the tap 1/2 way in the length of its threads, remove it and thread the sending unit into the threads, you should be able to easily turn 3 revolutions with your fingers, if it won't go 3 use the tap again but go farther this time and try again. If you just run the tap all the way in the hole with threads may be too big and leak.

If in doubt shot me a PM and I'll give you a call.

Steve

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
The easy size to find and remember is a 5/16 drill bit will do the trick for 1/8" NPT. I know someone will get out a machinist guide book and call out an "R" or 27/64th bit but 5/16 is readily available and works just fine.

When running the tap in use plenty of lubricant, WD40 or similar is sufficient. Pipe threads are tapered (like a wedge or "v")so run the tap 1/2 way in the length of its threads, remove it and thread the sending unit into the threads, you should be able to easily turn 3 revolutions with your fingers, if it won't go 3 use the tap again but go farther this time and try again. If you just run the tap all the way in the hole with threads may be too big and leak.

If in doubt shot me a PM and I'll give you a call.

Steve

Awesome! Thanks Steve. Will we see you in HotSprings next month?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Awesome! Thanks Steve. Will we see you in HotSprings next month?

Any time Brandon, always glad to help out. Unfortunately I think I'm out for Hot Springs, got a lot of personal and work stuff happening between now and the end of the year. Time and resources are really spread thin, its all good and will be better for it in the future so hopefully the sacrifice of breaking my life rules about going and doing pays off so I can do more going and doing;D

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure what pan you have but I doubt it will be think enough to use NPT on it, sure it will tap but will not be thick enough for the proper taper, you need to weld in a NPT pipe bung.

run the tap 1/2 way in the length of its threads, remove it and thread the sending unit into the threads, you should be able to easily turn 3 revolutions with your fingers, if it won't go 3 use the tap again but go farther this time and try again. If you just run the tap all the way in the hole with threads may be too big and leak.

sounds like Yeller has done it with success, try it and if it works great, if not you will have to weld in a bung

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure what pan you have but I doubt it will be think enough to use NPT on it, sure it will tap but will not be thick enough for the proper taper, you need to weld in a NPT pipe bung.

sounds like Yeller has done it with success, try it and if it works great, if not you will have to weld in a bung

Here’s the pan. It’s almost as thick as the sensor is long directly under the hole for the dipstick

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/...MIzIzZopqI5AIVGh6tBh3z6wyMEAQYASABEgLZHfD_BwE

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Any time Brandon, always glad to help out. Unfortunately I think I'm out for Hot Springs, got a lot of personal and work stuff happening between now and the end of the year. Time and resources are really spread thin, its all good and will be better for it in the future so hopefully the sacrifice of breaking my life rules about going and doing pays off so I can do more going and doing;D

Well that stinks. Hate that we won’t see you but I definitely understand. Good luck with everything and maybe we’ll see you at the LEBC Round Up in Texas in the Spring.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Does stink but I think the end game will be worth it. I do try to live like tomorrow may never come but sometimes gotta plan and work the plan like it’s a guarantee

That pan will tap just fine.

You never know where I might show up;)