• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveline U Joints

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
How do I know if I have a stock driveline? Anyone have any pics? Would like to replace the U joints this weekend but not sure which ones it takes.

Thanks,
Kirk

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
See I have limited garage time so I need to be prepared in advance. Know of any way to tell?

Kirk

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
The joints in my truck are spicer 5-153x. Thats what the truck had when I bought it years ago, and that to my knowledge is the same as factory.

Sport69

Just went through the same thing...

First check to see if you have a Borg Warner or Spicer yokes. Here's the measurements from WH:
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Driveshafts

If you have Spicer yokes then you can use the 5-153x's like okorangebrnco says.

Great place to find genuine Spicer joints is 4 Wheel Parts, should be one in your area if you're in LA. Give them the part number or let them know its the same as a CJ.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
What about buying the premium joints from Kragen or Auto Zone? I have a 4 Wheel Parts but it's out of my way.

Sport69

Don't waste your time... I did.

I originally bought some from Autozone but they just didn't look or feel like quality pieces. Was thinking, if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time.

Went to 4 Wheel Parts, got all Spicer joints, for CHEAPER with the sale they had going on, and man what a difference. The Spicer's were heavier, beefier and the 'Made in USA' casting always makes me feel proud.

Airtractr

Do not waste your time and money on any of the Cragen, Autozone stuff. If time is of the essence I understand but you will be much happier with regard to your time and money if you go with all spicer parts. Here's a great link to the rebuild process. http://www.rblewis.net/personal/bronco/driveshaft/

Get the quality parts first, take your time and if you do not finish or hit a stumbling block, stop and ask for help or get back to it later after a beer or better yet sleeping on it and making a fresh attempt the next day. It's not particularly complicated but a little out of the ordinary. If you have a bench vise and a sacrificial socket and a BFH it'll ne no sweat.

mgreen11

Loc.
San Marcos, CA
I had the same problem.

I went to Kragen's website where they give you too much choice and you end up with stuff that is close but doesn't fit.

I had to modify them with the old caps to make them work and here it is 6 months later and they are bad.

I bought the driveshaft kit fro Wild Horses yesterday. Hoping to receive it soon and see if it does the trick.

Mike

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Napa can often get you the good parts as well. But be careful the counter help will often try and steer you to the house brand equilivent.

You can also go here http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx and when you put in what you have it will tell you what the spec should be. then you can compare to what you have and see if they are stock.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I forgot about the borg warner and spicer variants. As for inferior joints, like mentioned, do not waste your money and time. The spicers are around 15-20 bucks, and well worth the green.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Save yourself the time and trouble. Just call WH and get the spicers. The cheap ones from the AP stores don't last. $ whl parts down here doesn't stock the right ones for our d-shaft. Napa couldn't figure out how to get the spicers. BTW I needed em to replace napas higher end joints that didn't last but maybe a year. They were cheap enough I ordered a spare set for the shelf.