• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driver door & pillar challenge

Todd B

Loc.
Johnson City
Have removed old and installed new driver side door pillar on '76 EB. Thought it would snap shut like new but the door has risen above the striker post (at the top) Any advice on adjustments appreciated. Are the hinges the same?? No top and bottom?

Thanks Todd

bighorn

I just finished my drivers door pillar. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach the pillar and then hang the door to check the gaps. I must have moved that pillar ten times. I moved it so many times I had to weld up the holes from the screws just to keep going. My measurements were right on but I had to fudge the pillar 1/4" forward on the bottom to get the door to line up. You could try shimming the hinge with some washers to make it work but ultimately you may have to move the pillar to get it right.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I did what bighorn did.

I did not like the way the sheet metal screws held the door so I tack welded the door, cut and relocated a dozen times before final welding. I also hung the door several times before final welding.

My original measurements got me close but I needed to move the pillar a bit to get the door alignment I wanted.

You may have to cut it out and move it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Not sure if this helps now but here you go

Attachments

• doormeasurements.jpg
    doormeasurements.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 85

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I also used the sheet metal screw approach. The dimensions posted in Skiddy's reply help get you in the ball park, but I found that actually hanging the doors really helped me dial everything in just right.

The other thing that you can do is adjust your hinges. This process is really annoying, but what I did was to loosen the hinges up slightly, then close the door. Then, manhandle the door while closed to see if you can get it to line up better. If you can, then try to hold the hinge side in place while opening the door (this is a lot harder than it sounds). Then tighten up the hinges in that position and close it again to see if they moved. This is a very "iterative" process, but it can help with lining things up. A second set of hands makes this quite a bit easier, but still kind of a pain.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I also used the sheet metal screw approach. The dimensions posted in Skiddy's reply help get you in the ball park, but I found that actually hanging the doors really helped me dial everything in just right.

The other thing that you can do is adjust your hinges. This process is really annoying, but what I did was to loosen the hinges up slightly, then close the door. Then, manhandle the door while closed to see if you can get it to line up better. If you can, then try to hold the hinge side in place while opening the door (this is a lot harder than it sounds). Then tighten up the hinges in that position and close it again to see if they moved. This is a very "iterative" process, but it can help with lining things up. A second set of hands makes this quite a bit easier, but still kind of a pain.

Yeah they didn't have very close tolerances back then, or welding for that matter

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yeah they didn't have very close tolerances back then, or welding for that matter

Yeah, when my welds look better than some of the factory welds.......well, lets just say that "quality welds" must not have been a buzz phrase back then. ;D

rooster4089

Loc.
Dothan Alabama
I'm with Bighorn. Screw the pillar on first and check your fit. Screw everything on first. When I did mine I had no idea what I was doing. I also would coat the welding edges with weldable seam sealer and etch prime all metal before you put it together.

hlt75

My tub had new door posts and striker posts installed before I got it man did they do a bad job good welds but a little off to line up the doors. I had to take a port-a-power to get one side and shim the other with a washer (if I recall a 1\2 inch flat washer fits perfect between the 3 bolts) I also had to make some of the holes a little bigger and 10 hrs later I had doors that shut great and body lines that are straight.

OP
OP
T

Todd B

Loc.
Johnson City
Thanks so much

Thanks for the great input. Not knowing the best path I believe I used a technique from just about everyone that posted. The good news it the door is hung, a nice door is present and now it's on to more challenges (fun)

TB