• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveshaft

Adarcy

Just ordered a 3.5" Suspension kit. I've currently got a newer rear driveshaft from Tom's that is suited for 0"-2.5" Lift's and a factory front driveshaft.

For the rear: Think I really need to get it extended? This is the driveshaft:

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.php?category=62&id=33

For the front: Should I replace it or get it extended? I've been told "they don't make em like they used to" in regards to the new ones...

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i had a 3.5 inch lift in my bronco and they say u dont need to get your drivelines lengthened for that lift but once u go above 3.5 u have to get them lengthened

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have a 2.5" lift but no hard top. I definitely needed an longer driveshaft as the OEM unit was at it's max. The front is ok for now. I'd suggest taking into a driveline shop and have one custom made. They aren't that expensive and whomever mentioned the quality issue doesn't know what their talking about....or....was one of the guys that manufactured your current driveshaft;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The front generally doesn't need anything. The driveshaft is about the same as the radius arms. So more lift is just more angle, but the arc of the travel does not make a signifient change in length.

The rear, about 50/50. 3½ is the amount of lift that some have issues and others do not. Depends on the lift, the shaft, other changes, phase of the moon, etc. Generally I say budget for a shaft, but don't order one. use the stocker, use it to check pinion angle, length, etc. If you find you need one (good clue is you are starting to pull it enough to see the splines) the stocker will generally drive OK on the street while a new one is obtained (or the stocker rebuilt longer).

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
most threads I have read on the subject say that a stock length shaft will work with a 3.5" SL on the street and very mild wheeling..............

but if you do moderate or extreme wheeling..........probably need a longer shaft

if you decide you need a longer shaft................send me a pm with the price of your current shaft as I have a 2" SL and need a new shaft

;D

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
i just finished a 5.5 lift and have a stock front shaft in and stock rear shaft in... nothing off road for a while but i can drive it so far without issues.

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a 74 with 5.5" rear lift and took mine to work and retubed it 2" longer, but I also love to wheel mine, as for the front, I have 3.5" lift and need to replace the stub and spline for better travel, but it still works very well when greased. ( :-X )
Most of the factory stock driveshafts for EB had very short stub and splines which can be replaced with longer better unit for more travel, but as stated, for street or lite trail use you would be fine. Not an expert, but I sell and build them everyday for all popular vehicles.

OP
OP
Adarcy

Adarcy

Thanks for the info

I don't think i'm too concerned with the rear being ok, but i'll have to check the angle of the front under flex conditions. I'm on somewhat of an ordering spree so maybe i'll just spring for a new front one! So addicting....add to cart, add to cart, add to cart....wife walks by...."what are you doing???"

lol

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the info

I don't think i'm too concerned with the rear being ok, but i'll have to check the angle of the front under flex conditions. I'm on somewhat of an ordering spree so maybe i'll just spring for a new front one! So addicting....add to cart, add to cart, add to cart....wife walks by...."what are you doing???"

lol

You've been PM'd

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
I have been running stock drive shafts for years with a 3.5 lift. Lots of offroading in the dunes with no problems. Maybe under extreme articulation you might have a problem.