• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

drivetrain noise?

69oddball

Loc.
springfield mo
I need help. I had a drivetrain noise that was a high pitched grinding sound, of course I was stupid and didn't ask anyone before I started working on it. I had the transfer case rebuilt(which the shop said it really needed it), I put everything back and the noise was still there. Now I have everything back out up to the clutch, the bearing is rough, but when I set the tranny aside I noticed that the output shaft was kinda loose. So I spun the shaft and it all felt kinda rough I took the top off and there were no needle bearings where the input shaft meets the rest of the gears. (when I pulled the transfer case I put the tranny in first so this wouldn't happen) The trans has been opened before probably by the po the real bad thing is I cant find any bearings in the trans. So my question is could this be the noise that I have been hearing ? If it is what are my options ??:?

OP
OP

69oddball

Loc.
springfield mo
Thanks I checked the carden joint and it seems fine. I guess that I need to check the cost of changing over to an automatic trans or rebuild my stock 3-speed and put in a new clutch package. I would appreciate any feedback I can get on this.